Disaster Recovery doesn't support high DPI screens

cgtyoder

I am in the process of attempting to perform a disaster recovery (latest and greatest R 17.5.2.103) on my laptop with a high DPI screen, and when I boot from the WinPE disk, the text is garbled or only partially displayed - it looks like the screen is corrupted. I added in my laptop's drivers before creating the recovery disk, but that didn't help. There's really no excuse for lack of high DPI screen support in 2021 - any idea for a workaround so I can get my PC back up and running?

The only possible idea I can offer is that if you can plug an external, lower resolution monitor into your laptop, and it it lights up (both very big "ifs" I realize) that may give you the ability to view a screen.  I assume the second monitor is made accessible in the BIOS, so it's something to try.

On 3/30/2021 at 7:52 AM, mbennett said:

The only possible idea I can offer is that if you can plug an external, lower resolution monitor into your laptop, and it it lights up (both very big "ifs" I realize) that may give you the ability to view a screen.  I assume the second monitor is made accessible in the BIOS, so it's something to try.

I have the opposite problem.  A low DPI laptop screen.  A secondary monitor doesn't work.  (Lenovo T series)

IMHO cgtyoder—because he's definitely got a license for Retrospect Windows 17—should create a Support Case at https://www.retrospect.com/en/rscustomers/sign_in?locale=en .  If he isn't already signed-up he should click that link to do so.  He should be aware that, if his problem statement runs much over 2000 characters (16 lines of a 9-inch-wide inner window), it will spill over into an Additional Note.  He should also be aware that Retrospect "Inc"'s highly-advanced Support Case system doesn't allow linking or underlining; I use before-and-after underline characters,  and  I paste-in links with a space afterward to facilitate copying into a browser link window.

Having done that,  cgtyoder should put the Support Case number into new a post in this thread.  x509 can then create another Support Case, with a Problem Statement mention of cgtyoder's Support Case number.  That will get around the wonderful feature that limits access of a Support Case to the administrator who submitted it.

Be aware that these problems may turn out to be a result of limitations in Microsoft's WinPE underpinnings for Disaster Recovery.

Already been talking to support. They walked me thru the garbled screens. This is actually for Windows on a MacBook Pro (a "Boot camp" partition). Turns out Dantz doesn't support Disaster Recovery on Apple hardware - too bad I didn't know about that ahead of time. Looks like I'll be reformatting & reinstalling everything manually - what a PITA. Looks like also I'll be changing what backup software I use...