SQL Backups for External Setup?

dpiraino

I have a questions regarding the use of SQL databases backed up through Retrospect.

Quick questions: What is the actual format of the retrospect backup of the database? Does Retrospect actually generate a .BAK file of the database? Can these be provided as databases to be imported to a new hosted system?

Long explanation of the ask: I am backing up a SQL 2012 database for our internal ERP service using Retrospect 17.0.2.102. SQL Agent. We are planning on moving this service to a new server hosted by the ERP vendor. For our vendor to set up the new server, they require a backup of our current database. However, our install of SQL Server Management Studio just started giving us a licensing error and will not launch to allow us to export the database, and the SQL Server Management Studio stopped working. We are concerned about trying to resolve the licensing error by uninstalling/reinstalling the software without current backups, so a "Perfect Storm" of problems.

Talking with the ERP vendor, they asked if we can provide a backup file from a different backup solution for them to use. If the Retrospect backup would work, we could simply use that to set up our new server, and not worry about resolving the licensing issue on a server that we are planing on retiring anyway. So, while we are backing up through retrospect, I am not sure if the backup format is correct, and if it is, how I could provide it to the vendor. 

Any assistance or advice is appreciated.

Don