Ignore Preboot, Update and VM?

I've tried everything I can think of to get Retrospect 17.5.2 to stop trying to back up the Preboot, VM and Update volumes because I get a client not found everytime my Proactive backup runs (example below). I have tried removing those volumes from the list of Sources but they reappear. I have also tried excluding them via Rule to no avail. Is there a way to do this?

example log file-

+	Normal backup using Laptops at 1/12/2021 8:14 AM (Execution unit 1)
		1/12/2021 8:14:18 AM: Finished scanning backup set data files
		To Backup Set Laptop Backups...
		-	1/12/2021 8:14:18 AM: Copying Macintosh HD on SAR MacBook Air
		[*] soccRecv: recv failed, error 60
			Scanning incomplete, error -559 (network connection timeout)
		[*] mltrScanBad: @ fileCount=401947 folderCount=44020 treeMemSize=134408680 normSpaceCount=2 spanSpaceCount=0 dirMemSize=16965968

Can't access backup client VM on SAR MacBook Air, error -530 (backup client not found)

Can't access backup client PreBoot on SAR MacBook Air, error -530 (backup client not found)

Can't access backup client Update on SAR MacBook Air, error -530 (backup client not found)
		1/12/2021 8:20:32 AM: Execution incomplete

denno,

I don't use Proactive scripts; just ordinary Backup scripts.  My MacBook Pro "client" is also still booting macOS 10.13 High Sierra, whereas you're probably booting a more-modern version.  However I have one suggestion that has worked for me. 

In the Sources category entry for "SAR MacBook Air", click the Options tab and look at the Back Up pop-up menu on the lower-left of the panel.  You probably want to set that pop-up to Startup Volume. If you want to try backing up the  "VM" and "Client" and "Update" volumes on "SAR MacBook Air", you could instead try setting that pop-up to Selected Volumes and check-marking the volumes you want to back up.

If neither of those settings works, you might be able to solve the problem if you are willing to wait to back up "SAR MacBook Air" until you have plugged it into an Ethernet cable connected—directly or indirectly (through a switch) to your LAN router.  You would get its MAC address in About This Mac->System Report->Ethernet->(select card if you have more than one), and create a fixed IP address (some people call that a static IP address) for that MAC address in your router; the method for doing that varies with the router brand and model—ask the ISP that "gave" it to you.

However if you insist on having a "poor wandering laptop" connecting to your LAN only with WiFi, you could try either of the two approaches in this post in the Windows–Professional Forum.  As Nigel Smith points out in the post directly below that one, they work for a macOS "client" even though they don't work for a Windows "client".  After a number of posts discussing the -530 problem for Windows "clients", I said in this post that I had filed Support Case #75559 embodying my suggestions.  Feel free to mention it by number in any Support Case you file; Retrospect "Inc." is darned well going to have to solve this problem when they release Retrospect 18.x with the option for a StorCentric Drobo/Linux "backup server" in Spring 2021.

P.S.: I had thought about what Nigel Smith says in the post directly below, but had decided "Nah, Denno couldn't be having connection problems after his/her laptop triggers its Proactive script".  I thus violated one of my rules for answering Forums questions, which is to look at the administrator's past posts.  Lo and behold, this OP about 8 months ago says "All 3 computers are on my home wifi network".  Denno should try what Nigel Smith suggests, then start a thread in this Ars Technica Networking forumWarning: Those experts will be rough on any poster who doesn't supply complete information, so Denno shouldn't try to pull any of the "I don't want to supply complete information because ... security ..." or "I don't want to supply complete information because my employer/clients might recognize me" stunts administrators try to pull when posting in these Forums.

Edited by DavidHertzberg
P.S.: I had thought about what Nigel Smith says in the post directly below, but had decided "Nah, Denno _couldn't_ be having connection problems after his/her laptop triggers its Proactive script".

That log actually suggests that the scan is failing during the "SAR MacBook Air" operation because of a network disconnect and it then can't access the other APFS volume groups because the laptop isn't on the network -- they're a symptom, not a cause, so omitting them won't help.

Solve the network problem. I'd start by defining a small "Favourite" folder, seeing if that works, then expanding. It might be a time-based issue, eg aggressive sleep settings, maybe a dodgy drive, or something else -- so I'm afraid you've some troubleshooting ahead...

Thank you both for the help. @DavidHertzbergI didn't realize those sources options were there. I changed to startup volume and also enabled wake-on-LAN and encrypt link. Not sure what the "didn't compare" error signifies but looks like the initial problems are resolved.

--Log--
		+	Normal backup using Laptops at 1/13/2021 12:29 PM (Execution unit 1)
		1/13/2021 12:29:26 PM: Finished scanning backup set data files
		To Backup Set Laptop Backups...
		-	1/13/2021 12:29:26 PM: Copying Macintosh HD on SAR MacBook Air
		1/13/2021 12:49:28 PM: Found: 1814840 files, 252742 folders, 185.9 GB
		1/13/2021 12:50:23 PM: Finished matching
		1/13/2021 12:51:00 PM: Selector "All Files Except Cache Files and Backblaze" was used to select 1674396 files out of 1814840.
		1/13/2021 12:53:05 PM: Copying: 485 files (1.8 GB) and 0 hard links
		1/13/2021 1:09:59 PM: Building Snapshot...
		1/13/2021 1:10:00 PM: Checking 252742 folders for ACLs or extended attributes
		1/13/2021 1:29:33 PM: Finished copying 31719 folders with ACLs or extended attributes
		1/13/2021 1:29:43 PM: Copying Snapshot: 2 files (507.3 MB)
		1/13/2021 1:29:48 PM: Snapshot stored, 507.3 MB
		1/13/2021 1:29:48 PM: Comparing Macintosh HD on SAR MacBook Air

*File "Macintosh HD/Users/srubin/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/CLSContactCache.sqlite-shm": didn't compare

*File "Macintosh HD/Users/srubin/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PGCurationCache.sqlite.sqlite": didn't compare

*File "Macintosh HD/Users/srubin/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PGCurationCache.sqlite.sqlite-shm": didn't compare

*File "Macintosh HD/Users/srubin/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PGCurationCache.sqlite.sqlite-wal": didn't compare

*File "Macintosh HD/Users/srubin/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PhotosGraph/construction-photosgraph.kgdb": didn't compare

*File "Macintosh HD/Users/srubin/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PhotosGraph/construction-photosgraph.kgdb-shm": didn't compare

*File "Macintosh HD/Users/srubin/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PhotosGraph/construction-photosgraph.kgdb-wal": different data size (set: 955872, vol: 1911712)
		1/13/2021 1:30:29 PM: Execution completed successfully

7 hours ago, denno said:

Not sure what the "didn't compare" error signifies but looks like the initial problems are resolved.

It means those files were changed in between the time they were backed up and the time they were compared (the version still on disk and the version in the backup).

It seems as the user was (actively) using the  Photos application during the backup process.

I shouldn't worry about that. :)