Background: I have 2 Synology NAS's, one that is strictly the storage for my media (photo) files, the other is the main backup destination for the media drive as well as other local drives in my system. For reasons unknown, no software changes of any kind made in over a year, the media NAS began to experience errors and crash when Retrospect (v 15.6.1 for Mac) ran its daily backup script. Synology support suggested changing the mounting of the media NAS from AFP to SMB. I did this and it seemed to fix whatever issue was at play with the media NAS crashing.

I had to add the SMB media NAS share to my Retrospect backup script, which regarded it of course as a "new" drive and began to back it up in its entirety. During this process I discovered that due to operator error on my part the grooming options on the backup NAS hadn't been enabled and it began to run out of space. Retrospect prompted me mid-backup to add a new member to the Media Set that formerly consisted of the backup NAS only. I selected a local disk drive as a stopgap measure. After the backup was complete I enabled the grooming options on the backup NAS so that it should not run out of space in the future.

The issue that I now find is that I need to remove the disk drive I added as a stopgap, and can't find any way to do so. I've looked through the manual, adding a member to a storage set is covered, removing a member is not. I've marked the stopgap drive as "lost" within Retrospect, but now the Activity pane shows each daily backup with a red 'x' for an execution error because of this. I have to look at each days' backup log to determine that the only error is the lost drive and nothing more, ideally I'd like to return to each backup pass being reported with the green check so that any real errors stand out and a quick glance at the Activity pane is all that's required. 

Is there a way to accomplish this without losing the groomed backups already present on the backup NAS? I don't have enough local storage to temporarily cache the backup NAS (~9.6TB) nor the media NAS (3.7TB) so need an in-place solution if possible.

Thank you in advance,

Andre 

(Retrospect 15.6.1 for Mac, MacOS 10.14.6 [Mojave])

ByTheC,

I believe you need to Rebuild the Catalog for the Media Set, as described on pages 182-184 of the Retrospect Mac 15 User's Guide.  In steps 4-6, Add Member only for the Member on the backup NAS.  In step 7, if you specify the Catalog location to where it already exists, IIRC you will get an error message saying a Catalog file with the same name already exists there.  If you get an error message, Finder-copy the existing Catalog file someplace else for safe-keeping, then Finder-delete the existing Catalog and repeat all steps of the Rebuild procedure.