Retrospect 16 for Mac OSX Catalina

I have to say that the upgrade from v12 to v16 for Catalina has been the worst experience in my 40 years in IT.

Issues:

A: The Upgrade Process

1. The Mac uninstaller does not uninstall anything

2. The upgrade produces a screen which provides no apparent way to proceed.  You have to know to click somewhere in the screen to get the option to install the retrospect engine

3. That option does not always appear.

Summary: this is not very reassuring for anyone upgrading to v16.  The issue is known but nothing has been done to resolve it.

B: Support

1. Retrospect advertises Australian phone support.

2. Calling the Australian support number results in a recorded response by someone with a British accent who advises that support is currently closed and the opening hours are 9am to 6pm Central European Time.  Sydney is currently 10 hours ahead of ECT so that would be 7pm to 4am Sydney time assuming anyone actually answers.

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 10.34.46 am.png

3. Three requests to Retrospect Support about the apparent abandonment of Australian phone support have hone unanswered.  The phantom Australian support number remains on the list

4. Given that any support request by mail takes effectively 24 hours, one would expect a comprehensive and accurate response.  This is not always the case.

😄 User Interface
Mac users are, of course, used to Apple's "ease of use" and Apple's excellent implementation of user interfaces.  Retrospect is not an Apple application and, therefore, does not meet the expectations of an Apple user.  The user interface is obtuse, clumsy and devoid of helpful tips and information.  A right click on an option ought to provide information on what that option achieves.  Of course it does not.  You must refer to the 278 page manual.  Good luck finding what you are looking for...

Experience So far.

1. I had to delete everything related to Retrospect from my Mac before reinstalling v16 would work properly.  This was a manual task - running the Mac uninstall program achieved nothing as far as I could see.

2. Retrospect is, for some unknown reason ejecting a tape and demanding new media even though plenty of space remains on the 6.25Tb tape.

769186247_ScreenShot2020-02-19at9_50_44am.png.79f013da56598f0912d94f0210e36dbf.png

A support request asking why this was happening produced this response:
"you should also check under the properties of media set member how much space it is allowed to use."

"What storage information does application show for this media set (screenshots would be welcome)?"

Really?

a) I assume the default space allowance is the total space available.  If not, why not?
b) How does one check the space allowed for a media set member?  I can find nothing in the manual about this and, of course, there is nothing in the user interface that suggests that this is even possible

c) The screenshot shows only 103.2Gb written to the 6.35Tb LTO 6 tape

d) Why, when I select the partially used tape for this media set, do I get a message saying that the tape belongs to a different media set?  How can it?

918237536_ScreenShot2020-02-20at10_18_45am.png.b0f0943702ac4451fd31918823299a04.png

d) what do I do with my half-completed backup which will not utilise the many terabytes of space remaining on two tapes and I have no other tapes to use?

e) Why is this happening only with this media set?  The prior backups appears to utilise all of the space available.

My greatest concern here is that it seems quite easy to disturb retrospect, leading to all sorts of unexpected issues and errors.  I have to shut this Mac down this morning, despite it being halfway through a backup.  I will not see the a response to my support request until tomorrow morning and, even then, it may be as nonsensical as the other responses I have received.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement

It is, truly, the worst software and support experience in all the time (40+ years) I have been in IT.

Edited by SunbeamRapier
Updates

Another issue cropped up yesterday - When writing to tape, hardware data compression is turned on by default.  Yet in two cases for the same media set, hardware data compression idid not occur.

As a consequence I have uncompressed 2.6Tb of data backed up to a tape which is now full.

The other tape only managed 103.3Gb but Retrospect says it has no space available.

To recover from this I imagine I will have to create a new media set, delete the existing media set and recycle the tapes.  This is not a trivial matter since it takes about 24 hours to write the data to the tape

1707472383_ScreenShot2020-02-20at2_04_57pm.thumb.png.eff0b66324dfba78201193bb2100cde7.png1707472383_ScreenShot2020-02-20at2_04_57pm.thumb.png.eff0b66324dfba78201193bb2100cde7.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 2.07.37 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 2.23.53 pm.png

One of the options in the media set is "Keep the Catalog compressed".  This option is not discussed anywhere in the Retrospect manual that I can see.  I assume this simply refers to the catalogs stored on disk (for an application using tape backup) and has no relevance to any problem with data compression when writing to tape.

But what does it really mean in practice?  Is it sensible to compress a large catalog on disk?  Does this have performance implications?

More on the strange issue of a tape being in one media set but unable to be used because Retrospect thinks it belongs to another media set, which it does not.

a) The Media Set and its members: Two tapes are listed.  Both belong to this media set.  Note that Member 1 has lots of space left

1756449100_ScreenShot2020-02-20at4_18_13pm.thumb.png.93d41da13c571849d885fcada96468f0.png

The tape 1-Media Set D Max6TB-A is correctly identified by Retrospect and is mounted in the tape drive.  But Restrospect wants a new member tape.  If I select the tape in the drive I get an error that tape 1-Media Set D Max6TB-A belongs to another media set.  Clearly this is not the case.

932698516_ScreenShot2020-02-20at3_47_57pm.png.fa425eadd8f5d849b26fa96b212fefe2.png

A quick check of the remaining Media sets confirms that this tape is not a member of any of them.

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 4.10.00 pm.png

Confusingly, in the Retrospect folder, it lists the media set catalogs as disk media set catalogs - shouldn't they be tape media set catalogs?

795715136_ScreenShot2020-02-20at4_23_02pm.thumb.png.a99738998d6e4abf4500920eb8650f4e.png

Update 20 Feb 8:51pm Sydney

1. Australian telephone support: I called the number after 7pm and was connected to a very knowledgeable and helpful fellow in The Netherlands.  So there is telephone support from Australia, 7pm to 4am.  Not ideal, but not impossible.  Retrospect should update the available times on their website.

2. Strange tape behaviour: At some point there was a write error on the tape in question.  If you know where to find it you can see the error.  There is nothing visible otherwise to the user and nothing on the screen  to tell you that the tape has been flagged as "bad".  As it only had 103.3Gb on it I it has now been manually erased and is now being used to complete the backup - a 12 hour+ process...

The issue about compression is related to Retrospect's reading of the tape capacity.  A new tape, it seems, tells Retrospect it has 6.25TB of capacity and this is shown on the media panel.  But once it has been written to it reports a capacity of 2.4TB, the actual uncompressed capacity.  This is very confusing and should be reviewed.  It would be better to show both native and compressed capacities.  Even better would be if Retrospect stored the actual usage in both uncompressed and compressed amounts.

The message that the bad tape belongs to another media set is a bug and should be fixed, and it should show if it has been marked as bad.

Edited by SunbeamRapier
minor corrections

7 hours ago, SunbeamRapier said:

One of the options in the media set is "Keep the Catalog compressed".  This option is not discussed anywhere in the Retrospect manual that I can see.  I assume this simply refers to the catalogs stored on disk (for an application using tape backup) and has no relevance to any problem with data compression when writing to tape.

But what does it really mean in practice?  Is it sensible to compress a large catalog on disk?  Does this have performance implications?

Yep -- does exactly what it says (which is maybe why it doesn't get mentioned). In practice it means you get a smaller catalog to store in exchange for a performance hit when reading/writing that catalog. Whether that's worthwhile depends on so many things particular to your setup that it's impossible to say -- try it and see.

I don't compress catalogs, on the (probably bogus!) assumption that disk space is a lot cheaper than processing power.

2 hours ago, SunbeamRapier said:

2. Strange tape behaviour:

Glad you got an answer on this. Whilst it could certainly be reported better by RS, the end result would be the same -- the tape is "finished" (for whatever reason) and you have to add another. Perhaps I've just got used to it -- my system, which by any measure shouldn't work at all! -- does this quite often, when the data flow from Mac to tape library is interrupted. If you get this a lot, start your troubleshooting there.

No comment on the rest because I'm still running an old version of RS on the Mac -- although I'm supposed to be updating soon, and now I'm starting to worry!

Hi Nigel.  Thanks for clarifying the catalog compression issue.  I agree with your view - better to use more space than to slow retrospect down - it already takes an age to do a major backup.  I have a backup which started last night at 8pm and it is still running this morning at 8am with 40 minutes still to run!

The issues with upgrading are not show-stoppers but you need to know how to get around the bugs and other issues.  This is what I did:

1. Don't bother with the Mac uninstall option - it doesn't seem to uninstall anything.
  2. I deleted every instance of retrospect manually.  I saved all the existing catalogs for later recovery
  3. When you first install the update it only installs the shell.  You should get an option then to install the retrospect engine.  But I just got a screen with a spinning wheel and a strange IP address.  You have to click somewhere on the display and then the option to install the retrospect engine should appear, but it doesn't always...  I think that is when I deleted all the retrospect directories and then the option appeared.
  4. You will have to fiddle around with granting total disk access to the engine and another app - this is documented in the upgrade/install notes
  5. I run a Promise Sanlink2 fibre channel to connect my Tandberg LTO6 tape drive.  The Sanlink driver is a bit flakey and I think that an interruption somewhere in the tape-write process caused the tap to be marked as bad.
  6. But as there was not a lot of data on that tape it was easy to mark it as lost and then erase it, and then add it as a new tape in the media set and re-run the backup - Retrospect detected the second tape with its data and is copying only the missing files to the erased tape.
  7. I am hoping that this environment will now be stable.  So far so good...

On 2/20/2020 at 4:06 PM, SunbeamRapier said:

Hi Nigel.  Thanks for clarifying the catalog compression issue.  I agree with your view - better to use more space than to slow retrospect down - it already takes an age to do a major backup.  I have a backup which started last night at 8pm and it is still running this morning at 8am with 40 minutes still to run!

The issues with upgrading are not show-stoppers but you need to know how to get around the bugs and other issues.  This is what I did:

1. Don't bother with the Mac uninstall option - it doesn't seem to uninstall anything.
  2. I deleted every instance of retrospect manually.  I saved all the existing catalogs for later recovery
  3. When you first install the update it only installs the shell.  You should get an option then to install the retrospect engine.  But I just got a screen with a spinning wheel and a strange IP address.  You have to click somewhere on the display and then the option to install the retrospect engine should appear, but it doesn't always...  I think that is when I deleted all the retrospect directories and then the option appeared.
  4. You will have to fiddle around with granting total disk access to the engine and another app - this is documented in the upgrade/install notes
  5. I run a Promise Sanlink2 fibre channel to connect my Tandberg LTO6 tape drive.  The Sanlink driver is a bit flakey and I think that an interruption somewhere in the tape-write process caused the tap to be marked as bad.
  6. But as there was not a lot of data on that tape it was easy to mark it as lost and then erase it, and then add it as a new tape in the media set and re-run the backup - Retrospect detected the second tape with its data and is copying only the missing files to the erased tape.
  7. I am hoping that this environment will now be stable.  So far so good...

1.-3.: AFAIK the Retrospect Mac Uninstall program is to a large extent a result of a decision, probably taken with Retrospect Mac 8, to install the split-off Engine—as opposed to the Console—in a "seekrit place" rather than in /Applications.  Thus the Uninstall program for major release N would logically have to uninstall files from two "seekrit places": the one for major release N-1 (for upgrading from major release N-1), and the one for major release N (for upgrading from a previous minor release of major release N).  SunbeamRapier is upgrading from Retrospect Mac 12 to Retrospect Mac 16, a jump of 4 major releases.  What if the "seekrit place" changed in Retrospect Mac 15 (I'm pretty sure it didn't change from Retrospect Mac 12 to Retrospect Mac 14, because I skipped Retrospect Mac 13 without apparent problems); wouldn't that explain why the Retrospect Mac 16 Uninstall program did nothing?  If that's true, SunbeamRapier should first have downloaded and run only the Uninstall program for Retrospect Mac 13; R.T.S. would no doubt have told him to do so.

4.: As to Full Disk Access for Catalina, also see (most recently) this post in another thread.

5.: Dantz Development Corp.'s great coup in the 1990s was that it obtained source code for various tape drive manufacturers' drivers, and then rewrote that code to work with Retrospect.  That was ultimately also Dantz's  great undoing, because (a) it hired contractors to do the rewriting and (b) the contractors couldn't always spot the bugs in the manufacturers' drivers.  I started a thread on Retrospect nearly 4 years ago in the Ars Technica Macintoshian Achaia forum, and I immediately had to deal with posts expressing great hatred of Retrospect from other backup administrators who had formerly used it for tape backup (the Retrospect Mac 8.0 debacle also figured prominently).  So what else is new, except for LTO having somewhat improved tape drivers?🤨

14 hours ago, SunbeamRapier said:

I run a Promise Sanlink2 fibre channel to connect my Tandberg LTO6 tape drive.  The Sanlink driver is a bit flakey and I think that an interruption somewhere in the tape-write process caused the tap to be marked as bad.

This is almost my situation, but with a fibre channel ADIC library with LTO-2! Yes, it's the SANLink that causes the problem, and I see it a lot -- as in almost every tape. I can put up with it because I'm still recycling through old tapes and so lose little when it happens, but I'd be looking for other solutions if I was using new LTO-6s...

Note that I haven't updated Mac OS or the to the latest SANLink drivers, preferring a working backup solution with tolerable problems to a potentially fubared situation! If you've updated you may have better results than me.

Clean install onto a test machine of the RS16 trial was totally hassle free. Once I'm happy with my tests I'll be trying the upgrade of the old system (which will then be moved to new hardware), so thanks for the warnings -- though, to be honest, it could be ten times worse than you describe and still be less hassle than meeting our purchasing compliance rules to buy the software in the first place!

The Sanlink update works after a fashion. It was causing a kernel panic when the Mac was being shut down but that has now gone away: no idea why. The Sanlink utility doesn’t see the Sanlink device but retrospect sees the tape drive. 

Support from Sanlink is woeful!

anyway it’s all working now except for the Sanlink utility.

There are a host of minor quibbles which I will post to the feedback area when I get a chance.

A new pile of problems today.  I backed up (to tape) a volume after moving quite a bit of data to that volume.  It had been backed up last week (to tape) so I was expecting it just to back up the extra files.

It reported thus pile of errors:

+  Normal backup using Backup Assistant - 27/2/20, 10:37 am at 27/2/20, 10:37:47 am (Activity Thread 1)
    To Backup Set Media Set D Max6TB-A...
    Warning: volume Max6TB-A has the "Ignore ownership" setting enabled.
    -  27/2/20 10:37:47 am: Copying Max6TB-A
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/14542BEF-1BE8-44CF-B672-9EFC57914DA0/": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/1922B565-7BA0-480E-9CBB-586CD0F8FC0B/": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/14542BEF-1BE8-44CF-B672-9EFC57914DA0/Project": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/14542BEF-1BE8-44CF-B672-9EFC57914DA0/QuickLook": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/2057CC1B-79F4-42DC-93D3-7A941CB6DBDB/": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/1922B565-7BA0-480E-9CBB-586CD0F8FC0B/clip-2013-10-01 14;35;18.mov": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/2057CC1B-79F4-42DC-93D3-7A941CB6DBDB/Project": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/1922B565-7BA0-480E-9CBB-586CD0F8FC0B/clip-2013-10-01 14;42;12.mov": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/2057CC1B-79F4-42DC-93D3-7A941CB6DBDB/QuickLook": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/1922B565-7BA0-480E-9CBB-586CD0F8FC0B/clip-2013-10-01 14;42;27.mov": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/1922B565-7BA0-480E-9CBB-586CD0F8FC0B/clip-2013-10-01 14;45;44.mov": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/1922B565-7BA0-480E-9CBB-586CD0F8FC0B/clip-2013-10-01 14;57;08.mov": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/1922B565-7BA0-480E-9CBB-586CD0F8FC0B/clip-2013-10-01 15;39;18.mov": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/2F5EB4A9-16E9-47F3-BAE5-7C53B8FB40D6/": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/2157FBFF-78DA-496E-9465-FE6562BF56F8/": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/329371FA-4271-470C-B373-6B68C1424467/": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/2F5EB4A9-16E9-47F3-BAE5-7C53B8FB40D6/clip-2013-10-01 14;35;18.mov": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/2F5EB4A9-16E9-47F3-BAE5-7C53B8FB40D6/clip-2013-10-01 14;42;12.mov": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/2157FBFF-78DA-496E-9465-FE6562BF56F8/Project": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/329371FA-4271-470C-B373-6B68C1424467/.DS_Store": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
    27/2/20 11:03:27 am: Found: 2448038 files, 583021 folders, 4.9 TB
    27/2/20 11:03:45 am: Finished matching
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/FD31DC9B-9FFC-4573-A5C7-5F3AA9D387CF/clip-2013-10-01 15;39;18.mov": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)
    and 80 others
    27/2/20 11:04:10 am: Selector "All Files Except Cache Files" was used to select 2,447,830 files out of 2,448,038.
    27/2/20 11:04:34 am: Copying: 405579 files (192.1 GB) and 0 hard links
    27/2/20 12:25:16 pm: Building Snapshot...
    27/2/20 12:25:16 pm: Checking 583,021 folders for ACLs or extended attributes
    27/2/20 12:25:30 pm: Finished copying 9,867 folders with ACLs or extended attributes
    27/2/20 12:25:40 pm: Copying Snapshot: 2 files (798.7 MB)
    27/2/20 12:25:55 pm: Snapshot stored, 798.7 MB
    27/2/20 12:25:56 pm: Comparing Max6TB-A
    Reported missing by user: "1-Media Set D Max6TB-A"
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/database/Photos.sqlite": different data size (set: 167,747,600, vol: 167,755,800)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/database/Photos.sqlite-shm": didn't compare
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/database/Photos.sqlite-wal": different data size (set: 0, vol: 2,327,832)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/database/search/graphDataProgress.plist": appears incomplete
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/database/search/psi.sqlite": didn't compare
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/database/search/psi.sqlite-shm": didn't compare
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/database/search/psi.sqlite-wal": appears incomplete
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/database/search/searchProgress.plist": appears incomplete
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/database/search/searchSystemInfo.plist": appears incomplete
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/database/search/synonymsProcess.plist": didn't compare
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/database/search/zeroKeywords.data": different data size (set: 19,857, vol: 19,877)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.mediaanalysisd/MediaAnalysis/mediaanalysis.db": didn't compare
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.mediaanalysisd/MediaAnalysis/mediaanalysis.db-shm": didn't compare
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.mediaanalysisd/MediaAnalysis/mediaanalysis.db-wal": different data size (set: 24,752, vol: 0)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/CLSBusinessCategoryCache.AOI.sqlite-shm": appears incomplete
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/CLSBusinessCategoryCache.Nature.sqlite-shm": appears incomplete
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/CLSBusinessCategoryCache.POI.sqlite-shm": appears incomplete
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/CLSBusinessCategoryCache.ROI.sqlite-shm": appears incomplete
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/CLSContactCache.sqlite-shm": didn't compare
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/CLSContactCache.sqlite-wal": different data size (set: 2,401,992, vol: 2,410,232)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/CLSLocationCache.sqlite-shm": didn't compare
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/CLSPublicEventCache.sqlite-shm": appears incomplete
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PGCurationCache.sqlite.sqlite-shm": didn't compare
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PGCurationCache.sqlite.sqlite-wal": different data size (set: 852,872, vol: 889,952)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PGSearchComputationCache.plist": different data size (set: 19,321, vol: 19,322)
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PhotoAnalysisServicePreferences.plist": didn't compare
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PhotosGraph/photosgraph.kgdb": appears incomplete
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/graph/PhotosGraph/photosgraph.kgdb-shm": appears incomplete
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/vision/PhotoAnalysisServicePreferences.plist": didn't compare
    *File "/Volumes/Max6TB-A/OptionTrader Stuff/Photos Library 2010 14-76GB Merged.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photoanalysisd/caches/vision/vnpersonsmodel.bin": didn't compare
    27/2/20 1:33:18 pm: 1 execution errors
    Completed: 405,579 files, 192.1 GB
    Performance: 2,676 MB/minute (2,439 copy, 2,964.6 compare)
    Duration: 02:55:31 (00:28:28 idle/loading/preparing)

I have no idea why, but the photos library in question is duplicated elsewhere so I will ignore it.

I don't know what the temporary folders issue is - Max6TB-A/.TemporaryItems/folders.501/TemporaryItems/.LINKS/2157FBFF-78DA-496E-9465-FE6562BF56F8/": can't read, error -1,101 (file/directory not found).  This folder is presumably created by Retrospect but is no longer there after the backup completed...

In no particular order:

.TemporaryItems directory is... temporary. No need to back up, no need to worry about the errors. "folder.501" implies it came from something you were doing (501 is the ID of the first-created "real" user account on your Mac, Retrospect runs as root and would create "folder.0"), possibly a result of moving the data to the volume, more likely due to currently running processes.

I see a bunch of cache files which aren't being picked up by the "All except cache files" filter -- you didn't want to back these up anyway, so no worries there.

Otherwise you've got some database and plist changes, which looks(as with the above) more like the files were in use at the time than anything else.