meld51

Proactive Backups and Background Running

Should Proactive Backups run when Retrospect is running as a service? They don't appear to.

I have 3 proactive backups that only run if the full Retrospect is running on my PC. They are scheduled to run anytime . See screen shots attached.

I have notification emails set up and I can see that Retrospect is automatically launched now and then but it closes down in the same minute that it runs. Why does it do this?

This is on Windows 10 with Retrospect 16.

Schedule.PNG.1e921be903d48dfed7e2bd3d5bcf0771.PNGProactive_Schedule.PNG.5c247a3a5d6bde89f41a2bb3c1d08d76.PNGSettings.PNG.d0071d275f8fc3414747447c7c41fa4c.PNG

What you are trying to achieve here. Retrospect won't quit after a Proactive script has finished (see p253 of the manual), and you have no finish time on an always-on schedule anyway. So why not just launch Retrospect and leave it running?

6 hours ago, meld51 said:

I have notification emails set up and I can see that Retrospect is automatically launched now and then but it closes down in the same minute that it runs. Why does it do this?

I'm not sure why it's starting up, since always-on has no start time. Do you have another script that would trigger the launch? As to why it exits again straight away -- since always-on has no start time, there's no script set to run in the next 12 hours so RS does what you've told it to -- exit.

If you are trying to minimise the amount of time Retrospect is running for some reason, "normal" backup scripts would be a better approach. But if you must use Proactive, eg for automatic media rotation, you might be able to do what you want by scheduling Proactive to specific start and stop times, then scheduling a "spoof" normal backup script to run just after your Proactive stop-time, with the "Exit" startup preference set.