Unknown Windows error 343 after SSD upgrade

hevanw

After I upgraded the SSD in my wife's laptop, I am getting thousands of errors on each backup run for that laptop. I even did a reinstall of the Retrospect client and a Recycle backup, but the problem remains. Ths SSD upgrade was done by cloning the old SSD to a new one using Clonezilla.

The errors are as follows, and this for many thousands of files. Client runs Windows 10 Home. Server runs Windows 10 Pro. Retrospect is 12.6.1.101.

File "C:\ProgramData\O949\langpack-sr@firefox.mozilla.org\chrome\sr\locale\sr\global\finddialog.properties": can't read, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error)
        [*] T-35: --ERR-- (10856) TPipelineMgr::tryStartPipeline: m_outQ->error=-1001 m_whyEnd=-1001
        [*] T-35: --ERR-- (10856) TPipelineMgr::tryStartPipeline: error=-1001
        [*] T-35: MapError: unknown Windows error 343
        [*] T-35: can't read data, BackupRead failed, \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy113\ProgramData\O949\langpack-sr@firefox.mozilla.org\chrome\sr\locale\sr\global\global-strres.properties, osErr 343, error -1001
        [*] T-35: --ERR-- (2372) ReadStation tryReadFile: BRRead err=-1001
        [*] T-35: --ERR-- (20336) Terminal: workUntilEnd:-1001 seq=0
        [*] T-35: --ERR-- (20740) ChecksumStation: workUntilEnd:-1001 seq=0
        [*] T-35: --ERR-- (2372) ReadStation: workUntilEnd:-1001 seq=1
        [*] T-35: --ERR-- (10856) BackupReadCloseAsync: err=-1001

I already googled a bit and looked at the forum here, but could not find a solution. In the client's Windows Event Viewer I also don't seen anything that should pertain to this.

Hope someone has some suggestions because I'm out of options.

Seems highly unlikely because the client machine otherwise acts perfectly fine, so there is definitely not an issue with corrupt filesystem or something along those lines.

My further investigations now go toward The Volume Shadow Copy. Each time Retrospect runs, I see a couple of VSS Access Denied errors in the Event Viewer of the client. However, these errors seem to have been there already before I made the SSD swap.

31 minutes ago, hevanw said:

Seems highly unlikely because the client machine otherwise acts perfectly fine, so there is definitely not an issue with corrupt filesystem or something along those lines.

Since there are different methods of accessing the filesystem at program level, it might be that Retrospect uses another method than other programs. (Where the other method(s) does not cause an error, while Retrospect's method does.)

The errors does indicate a problem reading the disk. ("can't read, error -1001"   "MapError"   "can't read data, BackupRead failed")

What if you try Clonezilla to clone the disk to another disk? Perhaps the old SSD. Or try another piece of (backup)software that copies all files from the disk. 

Looks like a OS problem indeed. I looked at some of the files that Retrospect is reporting the error on. Apparently I cannot access/copy those files with a weird error : "0x80070157 - External backing provider is not recognized." Already googled some but can't really find a good solution. It looks though that these are files that I may not need, so I have moved the relevant folders into a TEMP folder so it gets excluded from the backup and will see from there.

There were a lot more files that were exhibiting this issue than I thought. Some were also dll's in subfolders of Program Files, etc... As this didn't look like a healthy situation at all (still surprised my wife didn't run into any issues with the laptop) I ended up reinstalling Windows from scratch. And that obviously also solved the Retrospect problem.