Is a renamed HD considered to be a new volume?

If you had an HD as a volume in a backup script (let's say it's got 500 GB of data on it), and you were to rename the HD, and then modify the script to include it, would Retrospect treat this as a new backup volume and backup the whole thing the first time (i.e. 500 GB), or would it somehow "know" that this is the same as a volume that has already been backed up and only perform an incremental backup?

It would be a new volume. You can try it for yourself with a USB stick -- add it, tag it and add as a "Selected Volume" in RS, rename it, refresh, and the tag and selected status is gone.

As Lennart says, by default the files won't be backed up a second time. Unless you've selected "Match only files in same location/path" in the script options (which is off by default, I believe).

I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. I realize it would be a "new volume", but my question was really "would Retrospect back up the whole thing again, or would it be smart enough to know that even though the Volume name had changed, the files had already been backed up, and it would only back up the changed files."

So thanks, it appears that you are both saying that "it will not back up the files a second time."