prl

Retrospect can't find disk backup members on NAS

Since installing 16.1.2, I haven't been able to do backups to disk media sets on a NAS. Now, when the backup wants to start writing to the media set, it goes to Needs media, and when I use Choose Media..., I can navigate down into the top levels of the NAS filesystem, but when I get to the directory that contains the top-level directory of the disk that contains the media set members, I can open and display some directories, but not the Retrospect directory that contains the backup members.

I get similar results when I try to use Verify on the backup set, or to create a new backup set on the NAS.

I can access the directories where the Retrospect stored the media sets in Finder (as myself) and by using U*ix commandline access to list the directories both as myself and when su'd to root (which RetrospectEngine runs as).

This all worked for several years before I upgraded to 16.1.

Anyone have any ideas?

Retrospect for Mac 16.1.2 (102)
MacOS 10.11.6 (Please don't suggest that I upgrade - my Mac is a MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2009, and this is the most recent MacOS version that runs on it)
NAS: SMB shares served from a Fritz!Box 7390 router (yes, it's slow, but it worked until the Retrospect upgrade)

On 7/13/2019 at 4:10 AM, prl said:

Anyone have any ideas?

What happens if you let Retrospect make a new set in a new, separate, directory on the NAS -- i.e., instead of your current NAS/folder1/folder2/Retrospect structure you do NAS/folder1/folder3? Can it create and, afterwards, verify the test set OK?

If so, check for any permissions differences between the two using the NAS's management interface. Sometimes a NAS, which is usually running a SAMBA variant, can present itself in different ways to different OS X programs.

And if the first step works but you can't see any differences, try copying one of your "old" catalogs into the "new" Retrospect directory. Can you access that now? In which case you might be able to get round the problem by moving all your catalogs to the new folder.

I had the same problem and after talking to RS Support found that there was a bug in an early version of 16.1.2 that was fixed in build 102. This solved my problem, but you state that this is the build you are using so maybe there is something else amiss. 

I'd check that you are for sure using 16.1.2 (102) and then check with RS support if it persists. 

Thanks for the suggestion, but from Retrospect>About: "Version 16.1.2 (102)".

So no luck there. :(

Nigel, thanks for your suggestion. I haven't had time to try it out yet, but I will. I may also try moving the existing backup members to another directory on the NAS, too.

The NAS doesn't have much in the way of permission control. Only registering users with passwords, specifying the name of the directory subtrees that are exported to them and whether they have read or write permission.

The NAS feature of the router seems to have been a bit of an "oh, look, there's room for Samba, so let's put it in" effort. It was removed a while back for space reasons, but there were enough user grumbles that they found space for it again.

On 7/24/2019 at 3:41 AM, prl said:

The NAS doesn't have much in the way of permission control.

Doesn't need much. NASs usually use Windows ACLs for permission control, which don't directly translate to POSIX/OS X permissions. So it's always a "best approximation", can be tighter or looser than expected/intended, and can be interpreted in different ways by different programs (if they aren't using OS X's APIs).

I'm not expecting my workround to work, but it's worth trying before you contact Support -- more data points will help them help you.

OK, I tried making a new backup into a directory that Retrospect had newly created on the NAS, and it all worked just fine.

I then renamed that directory to the name of the original backup top level directory and moved the backup set directories into it, but still no good. I think I'll abandon the old backup sets and create new ones.

All a bit annoying.

You might still be carrying some cruft over from the "old" directory structure.

Instead of what you did, copy (not move) the members from old to new directory, creating any required sub-directories by hand as you go. Set all permissions to the same as the newly-created top level Retrospect directory. Get Retrospect to "Rebuild" the media set, adding members as required, but make sure to save the new catalog in a different location so you don't overwrite the old one.

That's quite a lot of work. But it could get you out of a hole if you need to keep the old sets available for restores -- you never said in the OP if Retrospect still had the read-access that restores require. If it does then I wouldn't bother, just move onto the new sets.

I tried doing a partial copy of one of the disk media sets, and it seemed to be accessible from Retrospect. I'm currently doing a full copy of both disk media sets. It's s.l.o.w. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It's still no clearer why two long-functioning media sets decided to "disappear" from retrospect.

OK. The copy finished and I got around to testing the copy. I can navigate into the copied directory for a Verify, but when I select the data member, it goes straight back to wanting me to Choose Media again, without putting anything useful into the log.

Also, very oddly, when the top level directory of the copy is called "NewRetro", I can navigate in the directories inside it, but if I rename it to "Retrospect" (the original name), I can no longer navigate inside it. Also, When the old copy is renamed from its original name "Retrospect", to "OldRetro", I can navigate into its directories, but a Verify of its members fails in the same way as the Verify of the copy.

Looks like I'll need to set up new backups.