Cannot recycle disk

Hoping someone can help a newbie whoʻs not an IT tech, just a teacher with a bit of IT experience. Running Retrospect 14.6.2 on a Mac Mini Server. Backups stopped happening a while back. Worked out the backup external disks were getting full. I contacted the server company that installed Retrospect and they said to recycle the disks - with little additional guidance. I managed to recycle the first backup disk but when I select the second drive, the Recycle icon is greyed out. I just wonder if someone can tell me what I am doing incorrect or what additional step I havenʻt been informed to do first. Screen dump attached. Cheers for any help you can offer.

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 1.52.25 PM.png

4 hours ago, redbeard60 said:

Hoping someone can help a newbie whoʻs not an IT tech, just a teacher with a bit of IT experience. Running Retrospect 14.6.2 on a Mac Mini Server. Backups stopped happening a while back. Worked out the backup external disks were getting full. I contacted the server company that installed Retrospect and they said to recycle the disks - with little additional guidance. I managed to recycle the first backup disk but when I select the second drive, the Recycle icon is greyed out. I just wonder if someone can tell me what I am doing incorrect or what additional step I havenʻt been informed to do first. Screen dump attached. Cheers for any help you can offer.

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 1.52.25 PM.png

It looks like there is a backup running that is waiting for media. If the media set is busy, you can't recycle it.

By the way, you could set up grooming instead. That means the oldest backups are "groomed" out, making more space available. Don't forget to schedule a groom script. Once a week is what I use.

Thanks for your reply Lennart_T. I really appreciate your help when this is all new to me.

Sorry to ask a really stupid question but if you canʻt recycle while it is busy, how do I stop it. Iʻve read the Recycle section of the manual and I didnʻt say any additional steps and I canʻt remember doing any extra step with Backup Disk 1. The Recycle icon was not greyed out and apart from a confirm to proceed message, I didnʻt do any additional step. Maybe this is related to the disk being too full and its still trying to back up peopleʻs laptops?

Re grooming, I tried that and got the attached message.....

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.10.55 AM.png

Thanks a million Lennart. This worked - Recycled Disk and things are now backing up again!!!! 🙂   Not sure how I got the first one to back up without doing this, or why I wasnʻt told how to do this when I was told the disks need recycling. Iʻll keep a better eye on them now and do some grooming before they get so bad. Words canʻt express the gratitude I feel for your help from the other side of the world, when a company just down the road canʻt help me!!! Cheers and thanks bigtime!!!!

• Thanks 1