jhg

Manually queueing multiple jobs in Retrospect Desktop?

If I try to manually initiate a job while another job is running to the same backup set, Retrospect rejects the attempt.

I would expect that it would just add the job to the "Waiting" queue instead.

Is there a way to explicitly add a job to the "Waiting" queue?

Does it have to be manually? Can it be a script? If "yes", create a script and schedule it to run once at a time in a few minutes from "now".

What I want to do is run 3 backup scripts one after the other.  Can a script execute other scripts?

jhg,

I am a Retrospect Mac administrator, but I've got a couple of suggestions:

First, if running 3 scripts as separate Immediate operations, explicitly designate the same Execution Unit for all 3 scripts.  Look on page 93 of the Retrospect Windows 15 User's Guide  (you don't specify your version of Retrospect) about switching into Advanced Mode to designate the Execution Unit, then proceed from there.  I think that will put the operations into the "Waiting" queue; the equivalent does so on Retrospect Mac.  OTOH Retrospect Windows may have special limitations for Immediate operations; Retrospect Mac eliminated Immediate operations in 2009, treating Toolbar-button submissions as scheduled-immediately script creations.

Second, if trying to run 3 backup scripts as if they were one script, I assume that you would simply put all the Sources into a single script if they were disjoint volumes or Subvolumes.  Since therefore they must overlap, consider defining the overlapping Sources as Subvolumes.  Subvolumes are discussed beginning on page 420 of the UG, and —since they are only defined to Retrospect—I don't see any prohibition on defining them so that they overlap—provided that (at least on the same volume, and preferably globally) you use different names for each Subvolume.  Page 175 of the UG says "Click and drag to rearrange the list order" of Backup Sources.

Third, a script cannot execute other scripts.  Administrators have occasionally asked for this facility, but Retrospect Inc. has evidently decided that its programming complications would outweigh its usefulness.

Edited by DavidHertzberg
Added OTOH qualification for Retrospect Windows to end of first paragraph

What David Hertzberg said.

At the suggestion of Retrospect support, I now schedule multiple jobs in multiple scripts one minute apart.  You can easily run dozens at a time, and the maximum number is tunable in Preferences.

You can't run two jobs at the same time from the same source.  You can run multiple scripts to the same destination, but for the sake of clarity and organization you will want to use unique destinations.

I believe (but haven't tested this) that you could schedule two scripts to run with the same source, one minute apart.  The second one will wait until the first one is complete.  Try this and let us know.

If you have a script and want to run it immediately, highlight it in Manage Scripts then click the third icon from the left on the toolbar, a little scripty looking sheet of paper with a lightning bolt next to it.

mbennett and anybody else,

You currently can't run multiple scripts executing at the same time to the same destination Backup Set (Media Set in Retrospect Mac terminology).  I submit pairs of such scripts to Retrospect Mac 15.6.1 (105) occasionally, and the second script submitted always goes into the "Waiting" queue.  You will be able to do that some time this side of the indefinite future, once Storage Groups come out of beta.

You can't run multiple scripts executing at the same time from the same-named Source.  However since Retrospect Windows 12.6 (and Retrospect Mac 14.6) you can run multiple scripts executing at the same time from the same source volume if all of the scripts except one name different Subvolumes on the same source volume.  As I said in the second suggestion in my preceding post, there doesn't seem to be any prohibition on defining multiple Subvolumes (Favorite Folders in Retrospect Mac terminology) to overlap the same real folder—including the root folder of a real volume.

You can indeed schedule two scripts to run with the same source, one minute apart.  I routinely run two such scripts scheduled 5 minutes apart every day, because until less than a month ago I needed to run a "sacrificial script" before the "real script" to try to eliminate -530 errors for the "real script".  I schedule the "sacrificial script" 5 minutes before the "real script", because the "sacrificial script" uses No Files as the Selector (Rule in Retrospect Mac terminology)—and therefore normally completes in 4 minutes.  However if the "sacrificial script" starts to run more than 1 minute after its scheduled time, the "real script"—which has the same source and destination—always waits to start.

Edited by DavidHertzberg
Revised last sentence of third paragraph, because realized that I frequently have same-source-same-destination script waiting