why does a client go "reserved" five minutes after reboot?

x509

Now my fifth issue with Retrospect 15.6.

One of my LAN clients is inaccessible with a 505 error, client reserved.  The manual says to to reboot both client and server, which I did.  When I first started Retrospect after the reboot, the client was accessible.  Five minutes later, not accessible.  I should add that I started getting this error message ONLY after upgrading the client from Retro 12 to Retro 15 client agent.  Both server and client are Windows 10 Pro 64, fully patched up.

I can't file a support request with Retrosect, because they provide a measly 30 days of free support and I don't think I should have to purchase a support contract.  As a private individual, that is simply not appropriate for Retrospect to treat me this way.

x509

1 hour ago, x509 said:

Now my fifth issue with Retrospect 15.6.

Which 15.6? (There are three of them, one released Nov 29 which has a few "remote backup" bug fixes)

1 hour ago, x509 said:

As a private individual, that is simply not appropriate for Retrospect to treat me this way.

You get what you pay for.

In the old days, you could buy a "support incident" for about $70 or so. If it was indeed a bug, you got your money back. I think Retrospect should offer that service again.

x509,

Here's how I fixed my -505 error about a year ago on Retrospect Mac 14.

As the fifth paragraph of this post says, the head of Retrospect Technical Support "has verbally assured me that you don't need to be signed up for ASM to report a bug—only to get personal assistance with coping with it."  If this is a bug related to Retrospect Windows 15, they're not going to know to fix it if you don't report it.

Lennart_T,

The 5.6.1.104 release of Retrospect Windows also apparently fixes a bug a lot of people have been having problems with: "Backup: Fixed issue where scripts hung due to Management Console integration (#7753)".

Replying to DavidHertzberg,

Thanks for the tip that I am still free to report bugs.  I will definitely do that going forward.

I checked out the link about the -505 error.  No luck.  The only "flash" software is a subfolder in the WinSxS folder inside the Windows main folder.

I did a scan on the drive in the client system, but that did not fix the -505 error.

x509

18 hours ago, x509 said:

Replying to DavidHertzberg,

I checked out the link about the -505 error.  No luck.  The only "flash" software is a subfolder in the WinSxS folder inside the Windows main folder.

x509

x509,

You failed to understand my linked-to post. :(  My key point was "my experience last fall indicates a -505 error may be caused by another piece of client software monopolizing the communications facilities that are used by the Retrospect Client".  In my case it was an automatically-initiated installer for Adobe Flash Player, but it could well be some other piece of client software.  If you look further down the same post, another administrator had a -505 problem apparently caused by ChronoSync, which is "a macOS application for periodic backups, bootable drive clones and folder synchronizations".

Lennart,

Thanks, but Little Snitch runs on on MacOS, and all my systems, including the problem client, are running Windows 10.

The problem hasn't occurred for several days now, and i'm still dealing with other Retrospect issues.  Once I get them fixed, I am NOT going to pay for another upgrade unless there is a specific feature I need.

2 hours ago, x509 said:

Lennart,

Thanks, but Little Snitch runs on on MacOS, and all my systems, including the problem client, are running Windows 10.

After a little creative searching on Wikipedia, I found this.  YMMV; I haven't had a Windows machine in my home installation since I gave back the Windows 95 desktop to my employer upon being laid off in 2004. B)  Up to that point, I was getting my Windows tech support from IT in our New Jersey office.

David,

I am actually familiar with pcap, but it's not exactly easy to use.  If the problem occurred more frequently, I might need to debug the problem, but even for my personal use (where I am the "IT guy" at home), I have a list of issues to address.  Of course if this LAN client goes dark more often, then I will need to investigate.  I appreciate the help, still.