oslomike

Can't access volume Error -1102

Suddenly I'm getting this error on a disk that has never had problems before. The disk is seen by Retrospect and it shows up as ready for a scheduled backup,  but when a script runs to back it up, OR I try to do a manual backup of this disk, I get this error. I can't figure it out. Anybody have this happen before?

Thanks in advance.

You don't say what kind if disk it is. If it is a network share, do you make Retrospect mount the disk for you? Or do you rely on having it mounted in the Finder? Having first mounted in Finder and then having Retrospect mount it, too, causes problems.

Hi Lennart!

thanks for the fast reply. The disks are mounted using SANmp which is a shared SAN front end (mounted Read Only). It's made by Studio Network Solutions and has been running great for over 10 years with this setup. It's just this one disk now seems to be seen in Retrospect, but when it comes to backing it up, it says that the disk can't be found. Is there a way to trick the program to see the drive? BTW, I have about 12 other disks mounted this exact way (Read Only) and they are all working perfectly with Retrospect. It's just the one. Would Disk Warrior be an option to try?

Again, thanks!

The have been a number of Forums topics dealing with the -1102 error message, but most of them have been for Retrospect Windows.  Here's one that was for Retrospect Mac 8.  To find all such topics, type "-1102" with the surrounding quotes into the Search oval on the top right of this page, then click the question mark symbol.

The cumulative Release Notes for Retrospect Mac 15 show there has never been a bug fix for this problem.  My impression, from glancing at some of the topics found as per the preceding paragraph, is that people get this error after doing "funny things" with a disk.

Thanks for all the tips! I haven't figured it out, but I did get a different error this morning in the log:

>  !Can't read state information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

Is this the same error?

If it helps, this is the whole log from this one disk:

-  10/12/18 2:30:49 AM: Copying Kåres Disk

10/12/18 2:33:14 AM: Execution incomplete

Completed: 267 files, 3.1 GB

Performance: 1,873.1 MB/minute

Duration: 00:02:24 (00:00:40 idle/loading/preparing)

So, it looks like it backed up 3.1 GB of files. In the log for the other disks, the second text line states "snapshot stored" ; an example:

10/12/18 1:49:06 AM: Snapshot stored, 9.1 MB

Since this is missing on this disk that has the error, could the problem be the catalog?

Last clue: The retrospect Sources window shows the disk in question as never having been backed up. I'm not sure what the 3.1 GB of files was. Now, I'm more confused that I was before.

?

7 hours ago, oslomike said:

So, it looks like it backed up 3.1 GB of files. In the log for the other disks, the second text line states "snapshot stored" ; an example:

Since this is missing on this disk that has the error, could the problem be the catalog?

Yes, it could be.

7 hours ago, oslomike said:

Last clue: The retrospect Sources window shows the disk in question as never having been backed up. I'm not sure what the 3.1 GB of files was. Now, I'm more confused that I was before.

?

Since the state could not be read from the disk, no snapshot could be created/stored. No snapshot-->no (full) backup.

thanks Lennart,

Do you think that the 3.1 GB of files that were copied are cataloged anywhere as having been backed up? I'm just trying to figure out if I can ignore the error when there are in fact files beingn copied. I'll probably have to do a test and see what's getting backed up and what's possible to restore. Could it be that an entire disk (ie snapshot) wouldn't restore properly, but search results for specific files/folders would be found and be possible to restore?

thanks

The files have been backed up, but metadata such as file's permissions have not.

It could be that some files on the source disk have not been backed up.

You should try to repair the drive if it is possible,