Can't access volume Error -1102

oslomike

Suddenly I'm getting this error on a disk that has never had problems before. The disk is seen by Retrospect and it shows up as ready for a scheduled backup,  but when a script runs to back it up, OR I try to do a manual backup of this disk, I get this error. I can't figure it out. Anybody have this happen before?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Lennart!

thanks for the fast reply. The disks are mounted using SANmp which is a shared SAN front end (mounted Read Only). It's made by Studio Network Solutions and has been running great for over 10 years with this setup. It's just this one disk now seems to be seen in Retrospect, but when it comes to backing it up, it says that the disk can't be found. Is there a way to trick the program to see the drive? BTW, I have about 12 other disks mounted this exact way (Read Only) and they are all working perfectly with Retrospect. It's just the one. Would Disk Warrior be an option to try?

Again, thanks!

The have been a number of Forums topics dealing with the -1102 error message, but most of them have been for Retrospect Windows.  Here's one that was for Retrospect Mac 8.  To find all such topics, type "-1102" with the surrounding quotes into the Search oval on the top right of this page, then click the question mark symbol.

The cumulative Release Notes for Retrospect Mac 15 show there has never been a bug fix for this problem.  My impression, from glancing at some of the topics found as per the preceding paragraph, is that people get this error after doing "funny things" with a disk.

If it helps, this is the whole log from this one disk:

-  10/12/18 2:30:49 AM: Copying Kåres Disk

>  !Can't read state information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

10/12/18 2:33:14 AM: Execution incomplete

Completed: 267 files, 3.1 GB

Performance: 1,873.1 MB/minute

Duration: 00:02:24 (00:00:40 idle/loading/preparing)

So, it looks like it backed up 3.1 GB of files. In the log for the other disks, the second text line states "snapshot stored" ; an example:

10/12/18 1:49:06 AM: Snapshot stored, 9.1 MB

Since this is missing on this disk that has the error, could the problem be the catalog?

7 hours ago, oslomike said:

So, it looks like it backed up 3.1 GB of files. In the log for the other disks, the second text line states "snapshot stored" ; an example:

Since this is missing on this disk that has the error, could the problem be the catalog?

Yes, it could be.

Last clue: The retrospect Sources window shows the disk in question as never having been backed up. I'm not sure what the 3.1 GB of files was. Now, I'm more confused that I was before.

?

Since the state could not be read from the disk, no snapshot could be created/stored. No snapshot-->no (full) backup.

thanks Lennart,

Do you think that the 3.1 GB of files that were copied are cataloged anywhere as having been backed up? I'm just trying to figure out if I can ignore the error when there are in fact files beingn copied. I'll probably have to do a test and see what's getting backed up and what's possible to restore. Could it be that an entire disk (ie snapshot) wouldn't restore properly, but search results for specific files/folders would be found and be possible to restore?

thanks

OK. I tried to do a search restore  for a specific folder that created as a test, and after the backup was finished, the folder wasn't found in the search of the catalog. So, it might be backed up, but I don't see how I can ever retrieve it. Is it possible to tell Retrospect to forget a local disk and then re-add the disk somehow? I just can't seem to figure out what caused this disk to suddenly get these errors. EVERYTHING in the console looks normal, except that the disk in question looks like it's never been backed up. BTW, I'll have to see if there is something that needs repairing on the disk. Disk Warrior didn't find anything.

I've run out of ideas. Anyone else?

So, I went to restore files and folders I was able to select the disk but it had a "yellow exclamation sign" on the disk. I was able to see my test folder was there. So I guess it's getting backed up but the application is showing misleading information and probably isn't doing something correctly. At least I feel a bit better now. I only wish I could get to be totally back to normal. Thanks Lennart!!

BTW, Does it not work to search for a folder name?

1778157281_ScreenShot2018-10-16at22_38_40.png.c52bb8ca11b0d60f719401a4fe3e5cdb.png

Sorry. In the old days, you could not search for a folder. At least that's how I remember it. I had not realized you can nowadays.

The yellow exclamation sign is a sign of trouble. In this case it's probably the lack of metadata such as permission or ACLs missing from the backup, not the files itself.

Hello again,

I'd like to figure out how to make the disk be seen normally by Retrospect. Is there a way to redefine the disk? It's confusing because it just shows automatically and there is no removing it other than unmounting the disk. I'd sleep better if I could find a workaround to getting things to backup without errors. (Reinstall the program? Rebuild the catalog? Reformat the disk itself?)

Any last thoughts?

Lennart, you're always a big help. Thank you! It had to be said. ?

It sounds like you are using SANmp to mount the volume on the server OS, so it shows up as a "Local" volume to Retrospect Server. As such, it will be available whenever mounted and can't be removed/re-added like you can a client.

It appears you have a problem with that particular volume on your SAN. Can you use Retrospect's catalog/logs to narrow that down to a specific file or folder if you try a new backup? If not, it's time for a binary search -- back up the first half of the folders at the top level of the volume, and if that fails the problem is there while if it succeeds the problem is in the second half of the list. Do the same with the first half of the "problem" section, repeat until you find what's missing.

Is the problem file/directory important? If not, I'd simply make sure my backup (apart from that file/directory) was good, then erase the volume via SANmp Admin then restore to it. Apparently you should be doing this every 6-12 months anyway (!) as preventative maintenance -- more details here.

If it is important then I suggest you contact SANmp support for suggestions -- whilst I normally have faith in Disk Warrior, the extra layer of abstraction/mis-direction introduced by SANmp may be confusing things...

Nige

Hi Nigel!

That's exactly correct. We mount the disk on the desktop mac that is connected to the LTO-5 which also runs Retrospect. The Retrospect logs show nothing of any specific folder or file. It has a problem with the disk itself for some reason. So no matter what backup I do, I'll get this error. As you can see below, a log from a recent backup, the error comes first. Yet, it backs up 8GB worth of files. Disk Warrior didn't help at all. It found a minor error in the directory and repaired it but Retrospect shows the same error. It looks like I have to erase the disk and restore it.

Thanks for the insight and help!!

-  10/20/18 2:28:41 AM: Copying Kåres Disk

10/20/18 2:33:24 AM: Execution incomplete

Completed: 517 files, 8 GB

Performance: 2,147 MB/minute

Duration: 00:04:42 (00:00:52 idle/loading/preparing)

On 10/17/2018 at 6:10 AM, Lennart_T said:

In this case it's probably the lack of metadata such as permission or ACLs missing from the backup, not the files itself.

H!Can't read state information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

The problem is not with the files itself, it is the state of the files (such as permissions or ACLs). That's why you can backup the files themselves.

DiskWarrior (as good as it is) does not repair permissions. Apple is supposed to repair permissions on the fly, so they removed that ability from its Disk Utility.

Did your SAN come with a utility that can repair permissions (or anything else) on the volumes? I would run it and see if it can repair anything.

Hi Lennart,

SAN doesn't offer any software to repair permissions. It has a Repair mode where you mount the disk exclusive and then you can run disk warrior. When I enter repair mode and mount the disk in question, I'm using an older operating system that still has Disk Utility and the option to repair permissions, BUT that option isn't available when I run the disk. Maybe because it doesn't contain any files installed by the OS?? So, back to the option of reformatting the disk and doing a full restore. Unless there is more things to try.

Thanks again!

So do you do regular erase/restore maintenance, as SANmp recommend? If not, that would be my first fix.

If you do, and have done so in the last 6 months, I'd be inclined to not bother until the next scheduled erase -- it sounds like you are backing up the actual data even if you aren't getting the state data, and that should be easy enough to rebuild. But do some test backups first!

Speaking of which, further up you mentioned a restore test and "So, I went to restore files and folders I was able to select the disk but it had a 'yellow exclamation sign' on the disk". Possibly a silly question, but were you trying to restore to the SAN volume? The one that's mounted read-only, so you can't write the restore to? ?

Other random thoughts, based on no knowledge of SANmp at all...

Have you got a client on your network that intermittently mounts the problem volume in "write-exclusive" mode? That might cause a similar problem -- schedule your backups for when that client is not in use.

I believe you "sign in" with SANmp -- does this also grant permissions? Does the backup server's sign-in ID have full read-only access to that volume, including all metadata? the problem may have started when someone set special access permissions on a project directory or similar...

Nige

Hi Nigel,

I've been bad at RAID erase/restore maintenance. That'll be my next thing to try. 

Re your question about my restore test. I was attempting to restore to a different disk. Re the question about "write exclusive" mode, not other machine on the network is authorized to mount any disk "write exclusive" except for this particular backup machine. When you setup the disks using SANmp, you use the admin program to make users and give them permissions. So, all the client SANmp programs which every machine is running, allows you to mount a disk either Read only or Read/Write, and only one machine is ever allowed to be connected Read/Write.

Thanks for the help!

Earlier you said the backup machine was mounting the volume read-only, now you say it's the only one that's write-exclusive. It probably doesn't matter, may be just a slip of the keyboard, but you might want to check in case it's that that has changed and has started causing problems (I don't see how it would, but I always worry when there's an inconsistency...).

Re: Permissions -- you've got the SANmp volume access permissions as you mention, but you also have the usual file/folder permissions. I was just trying to make sure that the backup machine can both mount the disk in a way that allows it both uninterrupted (i.e. no other machine has SANmp exclusive-write) and unhindered (i.e. the user account Retrospect is running as has at least read access to all the data on the volume, including metadata).

I'm assuming that SANmp log-in controls how the volume is mounted while the OS separately manages file permissions but, never having used SANmp, that's a big assumption!

But I think you are right. It's erase/restore time, if only because that's the first thing SNS will tell you to do if you contact their support.

Nige