roobieroo

Fast catalog rebuild option missing from disk media sets

I'm using Retrospect 14.6.1.101 for Mac OS 10.12.6 and I don't have the option to enable or disable fast catalog rebuilds on my disk based media sets under Options because it doesn't show up at all. Grooming is not and has never been enabled for any of the disk media sets. Has this been removed and the documentation is incorrect or should I be able to turn it on for existing disk media sets? 

I don't recall Fast Catalog Rebuild as an option for other than tape and optical media sets; i.e., ones that you would typically need to insert the media members sequentially into the drive.

This is from the Retrospect 14 user guide. 

Note: Retrospect has a feature, found in the Options tab of a Media Set, called Fast Catalog Rebuild where, every time it starts a tape after the first in a Media Set, it writes the current Catalog to the beginning of that tape. This speeds rebuilding of the Catalog by only requiring the last piece of media belonging to the Tape Media Set to be scanned by Retrospect. The Fast Catalog Rebuild option can also be used on Disk Media Sets that don’t have grooming turned on.

1 hour ago, DavidHertzberg said:

See this post, and the post it links to.  The short version is that Fast Catalog Rebuild was removed in Retrospect Mac 13.

That's a bummer. Thanks for letting me know!

Fast Catalog Rebuild is turned on by default with all Disk Backup Sets.  We don't have an option to turn it off/on because it is always enabled. Fast catalog rebuild was not removed from the product. 

If Retrospect Inc. made a misstatement in the Retrospect v11 for Windows and Retrospect v13 for Mac User's Guides' "What's New" chapter, IMHO they should have explicitly corrected it in a later edition.