How to skip Dashboard, start directly

pdb

zz-pdb,

Try reading this 2015 thread on the subject.  I can't help much with the problem because I use Retrospect Mac, for which the only way to access Retrospect's GUI is through an efficient separate  Retrospect Console app. 

To understand the Dashboard's role in Retrospect Windows, you should also read this section of the Wikipedia article on Retrospect, written by my good friend DovidBenAvraham.  You should also be aware that since 2012  Retrospect Inc. has wanted to make Retrospect Windows work the way Retrospect Mac does, and has now announced that it is in the process of introducing a Web Console.

If you are running Retrospect Windows 15, the Dashboard is evidently doing double duty as the testbed for the Web Console.  That is probably why you find it so slow and buggy.

6 hours ago, zz-pdb said:

Retrospect dashboard is extremely slow. Its time consuming just trying to get to the actual retrospect program with having to go through the dashboard every time (if it doesn't freeze first).

Is there a way to bypass the dashboard every time?

I run Retrospect 15 at work. I always launch Retrospect after every reboot and always get the actual program directly. Then I minimize the program and let it run.

Before v15, I ran v.12. If I forgot to launch Retrospect after reboot, I got the console, but only if a script was actually running.

12 hours ago, Lennart_T said:

I run Retrospect 15 at work. I always launch Retrospect after every reboot and always get the actual program directly. Then I minimize the program and let it run.

Before v15, I ran v.12. If I forgot to launch Retrospect after reboot, I got the console, but only if a script was actually running.

I think this is a good plan, but if you have a Proactive backup setup the program always appears to be running, even if nothing is happening.  After the Proactive backup finishes, it will assume that it's idle for 24 hours, or until another job starts.  The first window on the Dashboard always tells you if a Proactive or any other backup is actually in operation, so you can ignore the warning about starting the program most of the time.

Agree that the Dashboard is slow, and launching it before you need it is the best plan if you're impatient.  I'm hoping the web interface administrative tool that's coming sometime or other will make the executable program obsolete in the near future.

I saw the section of running as the same user as what i'm logged in with, and this is already set. To me the biggest problem is that starting the console is faster and more reliable than starting the dashboard. Is there really no way to bypass via a command line parameter or something?

It feels like a design issue on the dashboard where retrieving the data and showing the interface are on the same thread and so if getting the data is slow, i'll never be able to click "relaunch" to start the console. The dashboard looks nice, and well organized but it's performance defeats the purpose of a "dashboard".

On the side, the notice that says "click launch retrospect" really does not correspond with a graphics only button where it's tooltip doesn't say "launch retrospect"

zz-pdb,

First of all, you have not supplied enough information for us to help you.  What numbered version of Retrospect Windows are you running,  what Edition, and under what version of Windows?  Are you running any Proactive scripts?  We understand that you may be a new employee/consultant who has "inherited" an old installation of Retrospect, but nobody on this Forum is a Retrospect Inc. employee who might make a "sales pitch".

Second, what are you doing that causes the Dashboard to start running?  It sounds to me, an administrator of Retrospect Mac, as if you are setup to run Retrospect Windows under auto launch.  The first paragraph of this new/updated Knowledge Base article says "Starting with Windows Vista/Server 2008 Microsoft made a change where Windows will no longer allow services/programs to interact with the user and introduced User Account Control. With Retrospect this means that when Retrospect auto launches Windows puts Retrospect into a protective desktop environment where the user will not be able view and control Retrospect. We recommend that Retrospect be left open and minimized in this case [my emphasis] but if you want Retrospect to auto launch here is a guide on how to accomplish this."

Third, the Release Notes for Retrospect Windows 12.5.0.177 – September 5, 2017 include the following:

"IMPROVED Retrospect Dashboard has a new icon to differentiate it from the Retrospect application

IMPROVED Retrospect Dashboard launches when Retrospect is already running in Session 0 and includes explanatory message

IMPROVED Retrospect Dashboard's "Relaunch Retrospect" button displays an alert message when there is an execution running"

Sorry, I don't mean any of this as a flame post, they are just my observations.

Retrospect version
Multi Server Premium - 15.1.2.100
Windows 7 Pro
UAC off
Retrospect Launcher service on
Automatically launch retrospect on
Always run Retrospect as the specified user (set to the user I always log in with)
no proactive scripts, just scheduled scripts at night

Normally I do open it and leave it running but recently I've needed to reboot for non-retrospect related things (win updates, hardware, etc).

zz-pdb,

Sorry if you experienced this post as a flame.  It wasn't intended to be; it's just that the bane of these Retrospect Forums is people asking for help while trying to conceal as much as possible about their Retrospect installation—frequently IMHO because they are a new employee/consultant who has "inherited" an old installation of Retrospect and doesn't want to cause their employer/client additional expense.

My understanding is that you should do what Lennart_T says he does in this post.  That means you should set the Start Preferences, described on page 398 of the Retrospect Windows 15 User's Guide, to not Enable Retrospect Launcher Service.  I  think you should also not Automatically Launch Retrospect; instead just remember to launch it manually after every reboot unless you have some reason to wait, and then "minimize" it (whatever that means to Windows users).

P.S.: This 2017 post by gjs looks as if it might be helpful.