Using one Disaster Recovery Disk for multiple Windows 10 Pro 64 systems?

x509

I have five different Windows 10 Pro 64 desktops and laptops in my home LAN.  All are based on Intel CPUs, and three of them are Lenovo laptops of different generations.  Should I create DRDs for each individual system, or can I use just one DRD?  Is the "restore to dissimilar hardware" feature an issue here?

Please read my Admin Guide - it explains the kinds of things that cause you to need multiple DRD's (AFAIK). Assuming these are all client machines, the varying hardware is not the issue.

The real issue is that at least for now you may have different partition layouts you need to know... different disk partition tables (MBR vs GPT), and possibly different boot methods (UEFI vs BIOS.)

Restore to dissimilar hardware refers to restoring a single computer: if the original computer dies and you don't have an exact match replacement, you need to restore that computer to "dissimilar hardware." ?

The newer systems are all UEFI/GPT with UEFI boot.  the older systems are MBR with BIOS boot.  One of the UEFI/GPT systems is the Retrospect (Professional) server.

So I think you're saying that I would need at least two DRDs.  Do I need a different DRD for clients and the server system?  In all cases, I would want to restore to the existing hardware, so changes in partition sizes is not an issue.

I recently had a "scare" where I thought I had lost my system, so that I want to prepare DRDs before I really need them.  A few months ago, I did a test restore of one of the clients by first installing Windows, then doing the restore, but that didn't quite work, and I'm not sure why.  I suspect it was some kind of permissions issue.  I'm assuming that the DRD method is more foolproof if disk partitions are unchanged.

Thanks for the clarification about restore to "dissimilar hardware."

x509