Error -1103 after Windows 10 April Update

hevanw

On 4 of my 5 windows clients, the June 13 update doesn't solve the problem with OneDrive despite the release notes. In fact, it seems only the server has been updated to 15.1.2.100, the windows client is still at same 15.1.0.151. On these 4 clients if OneDrive has files-on-demand enabled I still get the 1103 errors. So the solution remains for me is to keep this OneDrive option disabled, at least for now.

I have 1 windows client that exhibits similar issues as reported by @gbtrevor. On this client, even with OneDrive files-on-demand disabled I get 1103 errors during building of the snapshot:

6/15/2018 10:31:14 AM: Building Snapshot...
        6/15/2018 10:31:15 AM: Copying properties for 45,125 folders
        File "F:\App Data\Microsoft\OneDrive\Documents\": can't read security information, error -1103 (write protected)
        File "F:\App Data\Microsoft\OneDrive\Email attachments\": can't read security information, error -1103 (write protected)

The only way for me to eliminate the 1103 errors on this client is to disable open-file backup, in which case I get 1020 sharing errors on all sorts of appdata folders. I have not been able to figure out the difference between this workstation and the other four. They are all at the same Windows update level and all with the same Retrospect client.

I had similar permission errors and all I did to fix it was to go into Windows Administrative Tools/Services,  find the Retrospect Launcher service, right click and select properties, then click on the Log On tab. Normally if you don't change it, Retrospect runs under the local system account (at least it did in my installation). So to continue, while on the Log On tab, I clicked on Browse, then in the box titled "Enter the object name to select", I entered my Microsoft account email address (since I sign on with the Microsoft account) then clicked OK and it fills in the related account name. In my case this was .\mrmik which is the user folder in the C:\windows\Users directory. I do have open file backup enabled and am now getting no errors. 

I am running 15.1 and the matching client. The weird thing is that my Microsoft account is an Administrator already, so I am really not sure why I had to do this. 

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post my experience.  The 1803 upgrade was forced on me about 10 days ago, on my server machine and one of the LAN clients.  Another client still hasn't been force-upgraded yet.  I'm still on Retro 12.6.1, still need to upgrade to 15.  I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 on all three systems. 

Since the upgrade on the server system I have run multiple Retrospect backup operations every night.  I back up my C drive, which has Windows and programs installed, as well as various other drives with various kinds of data files, on different schedules.  I've also run several grooming operations, optimizing for storage.  No problems, no error messages, nothing out of the ordinary.

x509

• 3 weeks later...

This error -1103 is driving me crazy. Everything worked fine for months. Then went on vacation with the family. 10 days later we return and my wife's laptop is aborting every C-drive backup with the notorious error. Again no clue why this is suddenly happening. She was already on Windows' April Update for several months so has nothing to do with that.

10 minutes ago, hevanw said:

This error -1103 is driving me crazy. Everything worked fine for months. Then went on vacation with the family. 10 days later we return and my wife's laptop is aborting every C-drive backup with the notorious error. Again no clue why this is suddenly happening. She was already on Windows' April Update for several months so has nothing to do with that.

Had you made the same fixes to your wife's laptop that successfully fixed the problem on your other machine(s)?  Did she put anything new on her laptop, such as vacation pictures?

On 9/1/2018 at 3:36 PM, DavidHertzberg said:

Had you made the same fixes to your wife's laptop that successfully fixed the problem on your other machine(s)?  Did she put anything new on her laptop, such as vacation pictures?

While trying to recall if I had installed anything on her laptop, I realized that indeed I had installed Roblox right before leaving on vacation so our son could play it on my wife's laptop. And so I realized that after all, this is again the same OneDrive related problem. I had created his own account on the laptop, which then also automatically enabled OneDrive on his account. Unlinking OneDrive for his account solved the problem. Linking it back later however had the problem re-occur again, which it did not in the past. But so for now, I have just disabled it, since he does not need OneDrive on my wife's laptop.