Error -1103 after Windows 10 April Update

hevanw

Also updated the kids' laptop to April Update now and also there Retrospect Client is now broken.

Interestingly though, the problem has changed apparently. While initially the error occurred during scan, as you can see from my OP, the problem now is happening during the actual backup. So a subset of files does get backed up, but then the backup aborts, with the following error.

Trouble reading files, error -1103 (write protected)
    5/5/2018 12:43:08: Execution incomplete        Remaining: 224172 files, 36.0 GB
        Completed: 13900 files, 2.4 GB
        Performance: 388.2 MB/minute
        Duration: 00:10:57 (00:04:43 idle/loading/preparing)

EDIT: browsed through my logs, and so apparently now it's my Surface Pro that does manage to do scans but aborts during backup. My old netbook and the kids' laptop still abort during scanning and don't backup a single file.

I am running Retrospect 15 and I'm having similar problems backing up a Windows 10 (Build 1803) laptop as a client.  The client has 2 drives:  C: (the OS) and Z: (a recovery partition).  There are no issues backing up the host, which is a Windows 10 (Build 1803) desktop computer.  No issues backing up 2 other clients that are Windows 7 computers.

The first backup of the client laptop was working.  It passed through the scan and was backing up files.  However, I had to stop the backup midway for unrelated reasons.

The next 2 attempts at a backup made it successfully through the scan for drive C: and some files were backed up.  However, the -1103 error was thrown for the C: drive and the backup aborted.  No issues at all backing up the Z: drive.

All subsequent attempts for open file backup on the client resulted in the C: drive failing during the scan and no problems with the Z: drive.

I confirmed VSS errors in the event log on the client at the same time as the -1103 errors.

I can do a backup with "open files" disabled, although there are several warnings for sharing violations, which I assume would be expected.

I have submitted a support ticket.

Edited by RandyStevens
corrected error number
  • Like 1

Hi again,

Thought I would include a copy of the log from both a failed run (from the Retrospect Scheduler) and a successful run (from the "Run" menu drop down within Retrospect).

From the failed scheduler run:

+    Normal backup using Backup C at 5/05/2018 7:00 PM
        5/05/2018 7:00:15 PM: Finished scanning backup set data files
    To Backup Set Backup Set A...

-    5/05/2018 7:00:14 PM: Copying Local Disk (C:)
    Scanning incomplete, error -1103 (write protected)        5/05/2018 7:01:03 PM: Compressing catalog file

--

From the successful "Run menu drop-down" within Retrospect:

+    Normal backup using Backup C at 6/05/2018 10:32 AM
        6/05/2018 10:32:24 AM: Finished scanning backup set data files
    To Backup Set Backup Set A...

-    6/05/2018 10:32:23 AM: Copying Local Disk (C:)
        6/05/2018 10:33:22 AM: Found: 404,197 files, 88,163 folders, 82.0 GB
        6/05/2018 10:33:27 AM: Finished matching
        6/05/2018 10:33:34 AM: Copying: 9,042 files (7.8 GB) and 153 hard links
    6/05/2018 10:36:03 AM: Building Snapshot...
        6/05/2018 10:36:06 AM: Copying properties for 88,163 folders
        6/05/2018 10:36:18 AM: Finished copying properties for 88,163 folders and 0 files
        6/05/2018 10:36:18 AM: Copying UEFI System Partition
        6/05/2018 10:36:21 AM: Copying Snapshot: 418 files (406.8 MB)
        6/05/2018 10:36:30 AM: Snapshot stored, 406.8 MB
    6/05/2018 10:36:30 AM: Execution completed successfully        Completed: 9042 files, 7.9 GB
        Performance: 3333.7 MB/minute
        Duration: 00:04:06 (00:01:42 idle/loading/preparing)

6/05/2018 10:36:30 AM: Compressing catalog file
        6/05/2018 10:36:31 AM: Compressing catalog file

--

Yowzers.  I just got a notification from MS that Windows had to install an "important update."  I'm glad I didn't let the upgrade proceed.  I'm running Retrospect 12.6 on the main system, backing up two other systems.  All running Win 10 Pro 64.

This issue seems serious enough that maybe Retrospect support should put out an email to all registered users telling them to NOT upgrade to 1803 until further notice. (And probably patches to 15, 12, and maybe older versions.

Lucky_Phil and others,

I am now seeing similar problems.  When the script runs from the scheduler on the host (local) computer, it fails during a scan of the C: drive.  No problems with other drives on the host computer.  Running the script via the Run pull-down will run successfully.

I believe this may be a different problem than the client issues, although both are throwing  the same  -1103 error on the host.

The open file backup on the client C: drive is failing and throwing VSS errors in the clients' event logs.  The error propagates back to the host as a -1103 error.  This problem only occurs on the C: drive, not on other drives on the client.

For the problem backing up on the local machine, I can find no related problems in the windows event logs.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 5:24 AM, RandyStevens said:

Lucky_Phil and others,

I am now seeing similar problems.  When the script runs from the scheduler on the host (local) computer, it fails during a scan of the C: drive.  No problems with other drives on the host computer.  Running the script via the Run pull-down will run successfully.

I believe this may be a different problem than the client issues, although both are throwing  the same  -1103 error on the host.

The open file backup on the client C: drive is failing and throwing VSS errors in the clients' event logs.  The error propagates back to the host as a -1103 error.  This problem only occurs on the C: drive, not on other drives on the client.

For the problem backing up on the local machine, I can find no related problems in the windows event logs.

On the assumption that the Drive C contains only Windows and programs, that is, no user data, do we have a path to a workaround?  (I am assuming that user data is on a Drive D or higher.) If the backup job is backing up only user data, is the failure to properly scan Drive C a real issue?  If the backup job is backing up newly or modified executables and related code, can the workaround be for the local user to be logged off?  Or if not logged off, to be running no programs and have no windows open?

After seeing this thread for the first time, I changed the Update settings to stop all updates.  That only pauses updates for 35 days, and I'm sure that on June 9, Windows will automatically reset to allow 1803 and other updates to be installed.  So for me or any anyone else taking this approach, we are "hoping" that Retrospect will determine the root cause(s) of this issue and issue a fix by early June.  But "Hope is not a Strategy."  That's why I'm hoping that this thread (or a new one?) can discuss workarounds.

Hi Scillonian,

You mentioned earlier that in your testing "some security settings related to Windows services are not being carried forward correctly."

Can you elaborate on this? Any security settings in particular that you are noticing? I realize others are seeing the problem with a fresh install, but it still might point us into the right direction since at the moment none of our machines are producing the error. 

On another note, I updated my personal machine up to build 1803 and instead of encountering the -1103 error, I'm seeing an entirely different VSS error. Yay Microsoft!

1 hour ago, eppinizer said:

You mentioned earlier that in your testing "some security settings related to Windows services are not being carried forward correctly."

Can you elaborate on this? Any security settings in particular that you are noticing? I realize others are seeing the problem with a fresh install, but it still might point us into the right direction since at the moment none of our machines are producing the error. 

These were settings to suppress VSS warnings that I had made myself on the 1709 machine I was using for comparison. I doubt that added them to the 1803 machine before update.

On the two machines that I have tested the 1803 update on they both fail with an -1103 error for the system volume. It makes no difference whether I do an Immediate, Run menu or Sheduled backup.

However a clean install of 1803 on these two machines will backup without errors.

One is an old HP xw4600 Workstation that was updated from production 1709. The other is a Dell Inspiron N5050 laptop that went from production 1709 to 1803 via various Isider Preview builds (starting at about 17115).

I'm currently looking into whether the 1803 update is corrupting files in the C:\Windows\InfusedApps\Packages folder tree which I have found on two different disks. (Because it is not easy to gain access to this folder from within Windows I mounted the disk in Linux to see what was in this folder tree and while poking around the Caja file managed reported an error. Caja does not report an error for the same files on a clean install.)

1 hour ago, eppinizer said:

On another note, I updated my personal machine up to build 1803 and instead of encountering the -1103 error, I'm seeing an entirely different VSS error. Yay Microsoft!

What is the VSS error you are seeing?

Hi Scillonian, thanks for asking.

Within Retrospect i'm seeing our generic -3050 error

Can't use Open File Backup option for Local Disk (C:), error -3050 (VSS reported an error)

So not much of use there, since the -3050 error can cover so many issues.

In terms of actual VSS errors (events) I'm seeing both

Event ID 22, VSS, level: Error.

Details: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered

Event ID 8193, VSS, level: Error.

Details: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered.

No errors reported by "vssadmin list writers", everything is in a reportedly stable state.

I haven't gone too deep yet, but the suggested fixes I found in my preliminary searches based off of these errors haven't helped. I'll take a crack at it tomorrow.

Thanks.

On 07/05/2018 at 5:51 PM, x509 said:

After seeing this thread for the first time, I changed the Update settings to stop all updates.  That only pauses updates for 35 days, and I'm sure that on June 9, Windows will automatically reset to allow 1803 and other updates to be installed.

If you are running the Pro, Education or Enterprise editions of Windows 10 then you can delay Feature Updates (which 1803 is) for up to 365 days. Unfortunately if you are running the Home edition you will get Feature Updates when Microsoft decides.

Ok, I did some additional  debugging and I found the issue: It's OneDrive.

OneDrive has an option (don't know if it's new with 1803) that gives you the possibility to only actually download a file from OneDrive to your computer if you actually use it. All files in the OneDrive folder are shown as being present, but they are not actually physically present on your computer. So they are some sort of link. The explorer shows a cloud symbol with these files.

As long as one such link is present on the drive (even if it is in the Recycle bin) it will cause the -1103 error. Scanning will be interrupted as soon as the scan engine hits the OneDrive folder.

On both machines I turned the option off in OneDrive settings, which caused all OneDrive files to be downloaded to the computer, and both are backing up properly now, without errors.

Also checked the machines that never showed the issue, they all have this OneDrive option set to off.

• Thanks 2

Are you sure every file has been downloaded from OneDrive? So OneDrive is fully synched? Also clear the Recycle Bin.

No other users on the computer that also use OneDrive?

I can also reproduce this now on one of the machines that have worked without a problem up till now. Turning the option on causes the -1103 error to occur. Turning the option off makes the backup work again.

Turned On:

-    8-5-2018 22:23:24: Copying SysteemSSD (C:) on Marc1
    Scanning incomplete, error -1103 (write protected)

Turned Off:

-    8-5-2018 22:26:16: Copying SysteemSSD (C:) on Marc1
        8-5-2018 22:28:31: Found: 400.149 files, 89.455 folders, 172,2 GB
        8-5-2018 22:28:38: Finished matching
        Backing up 3 out of 8 files using block level incremental backup, storing full backups for remaining 5.
        8-5-2018 22:29:15: Copying: 6.769 files (5,5 GB) and 3.129 hard links
    8-5-2018 22:32:10: Building Snapshot...
        8-5-2018 22:32:11: Copying VSS writer files
        8-5-2018 22:32:16: Finished copying VSS writer files
        8-5-2018 22:32:20: Copying properties for 89.455 folders
        8-5-2018 22:32:55: Finished copying properties for 89.455 folders and 0 files
        8-5-2018 22:32:57: Copying UEFI System Partition
        8-5-2018 22:33:19: Copying Snapshot: 387 files (312,3 MB)
        8-5-2018 22:33:25: Snapshot stored, 312,3 MB
    8-5-2018 22:33:25: Execution completed successfully        Completed: 6769 files, 5,5 GB, with 57% compression
        2,0 GB already copied by block level incremental backup
        3,6 GB stored for this session
        Performance: 2067,9 MB/minute
        Duration: 00:07:09 (00:04:26 idle/loading/preparing)

Another thing to try (this I did first)

- Logout the OneDrive app.

- Stop the OneDrive app

- Delete the OneDrive folder.

- Empty Recycle Bin

- Test backup

1 hour ago, Hofstede said:

OneDrive has an option (don't know if it's new with 1803) that gives you the possibility to only actually download a file from OneDrive to your computer if you actually use it. All files in the OneDrive folder are shown as being present, but they are not actually physically present on your computer. So they are some sort of link. The explorer shows a cloud symbol with these files.

This feature was introduced with 1709. In 1709 Retrospect just ignored the OneDrive folder if it was in Files on Demand mode. This feature has been discussed before in the Problem with Retrospect and Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update thread.

From what I discovered in 1709:

• When Files on Demand feature is not active the OneDrive root folder and the folders and files in it exist as real folders and files on the disk.
  • When the Files and Demand feature is active the OneDrive root folder becomes a reparse point (symlink in *nix) to somewhere I couldn't track down.

It also seems that Microsoft may be re-enabling the Files on Demand feature when the OneDrive application is updated. (I know that I had disabled it on this laptop but on checking I found it was enabled again.)

Edited by Scillonian
Added reference to earlier thread on Files on Demand

2 hours ago, Hofstede said:

With the OneDrive Files on Demand feature disabled my main test Client for the 1803 update has just successfully completed a backup. Will test the other one tomorrow.

(I knew the OneDrive Files on Demand feature would cause trouble a some point much like the SkyDrive Placeholders feature in Windows 8.x did.)

I think that OneDrive is always linked to Drive C:.  If this is correct, then OneDrive under 1803 may be the (or just one) culprit.  IIRC, people said that scanning for drives other than C: did not fail for 1803. 

I am still running 1709 and I have never activated or signed in with OneDrive.  Does this issue affect only people who have activated oneDrive?

Are we getting those to identifying a (perhaps frustrating) workaround? Comments? 

x509

Interesting find ... well done to all. On my laptop, where 1803 was working fine with Retrospect, I was not logged in to Onedrive. The desktop which did have an account active with Onedrive, had the Retrospect jobs failing (except when run from within Retrospect using the Run drop-down.) I'm still puzzled why that was working ... Anyhow, I've unlinked the OneDrive account on the problem machine and will see if that does the trick.

Just to throw out an idea after catching up with this thread, you might also want to investigate the settings in Control Panel | Sync Center in relation to One Drive, as well as anything else.  Sync Center might have a bearing on this.  I saw a bulletin regarding a completely unrelated application yesterday that encountered errors caused by the Sync Center.  Then I read another article today discussing how One Drive syncs files and folders to the MS cloud.  Now this thread to bring it full circle.

I'm going to continue to watch this thread, and want to say that I really appreciate the extremely professional community discussions on this Forum.  Bravo.

• Like 1

I hate it when something solves the problem for everyone except myself :).

I still have the problem, but can confirm it's also related to OneDrive here. If I exclude the OneDrive folder in my Selector, then the backup does complete fine.  Weird thing is that I still did get a -1103 error and it's related to OneDrive still. I see a bunch of the following lines all pertaining to different OneDrive folders

[*] stfiDoBackupOne: error -1103 (write protected) on C:\Users\henkv\OneDrive\Documents\Manuals

And then get the error:

Trouble reading files, error -1103 (write protected)
        9/5/2018 11:23:43: Trouble copying folders, error -1103 (write protected) ddex=69,985

EDIT, driving me crazy. The last couple hours all backups again aborted during scanning without a single file being backed up. This is with the OneDrive folder excluded from the selection. The error does not even show much :

Scanning incomplete, error -1103 (write protected)        9/5/2018 16:44:26: Compressing catalog file

EDIT2: whether it's the scan that aborts or the actual backup appears to be pretty random. 

12 minutes ago, eppinizer said:

Hi All, 

Thanks so much for all of your input. We have reproduced the issue in house, we are investigating an appropriate fix, indeed it does appear to be due to a change in Microsoft's One Drive. 

I'll keep you all updated on our progress. 

-Jeff

Jeff,

This is great news.  Are you going to report this issue to Microsoft?  This issue might affect other backup applications.

1 hour ago, x509 said:

Jeff,

This is great news.  Are you going to report this issue to Microsoft?  This issue might affect other backup applications.

Hi x509,

This will depend on the results of the investigation. If it looks like something is broken we'll submit a bug report. In fact, depending on what is broken we may have to submit a bug report in order to get it fixed.

Cheers,

-Jeff

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hevanw said:

I still have the problem, but can confirm it's also related to OneDrive here.

Are you certain that you disabled the OneDrive Files on Demand feature for all users? If the Files on Demand feature is enabled the OneDrive folder becomes a Reparse Point instead of a real folder.

To check if the OneDriver folders is a real folder or a Reparse Point use one of the following two command line methods.

If PowerShell is set as the default terminal:

• Right click on Start and select Windows PowerShell (Admin)
  • Once the PowerShell window has opened type cd C:\Users\henkv and press enter
  • Type ls one* and press enter
  • The will return something like:
    Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name
    ----                -------------         ------ ----
    dar--l       2018-05-08     19:15                OneDrive
  • If the last character of the mode string is a "l" (lowercase L) then the Onedrive folder is a Reparse Point

If Command Prompt is set as the default terminal:

• Right click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Once the Command Prompt window has opened type cd C:\Users\henkv and press enter
  • Type ls dir /al and press enter
  • If the result is:
    2018-05-08  19:15    <DIR>          OneDrive
    then the OneDrive folder is a Reparse Point
  • If the result is:
    File Not Found
    then the OneDrive folder is a real folder

10 hours ago, hevanw said:

If I exclude the OneDrive folder in my Selector, then the backup does complete fine.

Even if exclude folder(s) and/or file(s) in a selector they are still scanned.

• Like 1