Error -1103 after Windows 10 April Update

hevanw

I have upgraded both my server and client machine to Windows 10 April Update (v1803). Since then my client cannot be backed up anymore.

The error that I'm getting in the Operations Log at server side is this :

Scanning incomplete, error -1103 (write protected)        

I already tried uninstall and reinstall of the client, but to no avail.

I still have some combo's that do work:

* The Server can still backup it's own filesystem (local backup)

* The Server can also still backup a client machine that did not get the Windows 10 April Update yet.

EDIT: I'm using Retrospect 12.6, not yet 15.

EDIT2: I actually just noticed that the Windows services only has 2 Retrospect services anymore: Retrospect Client and Retrospect Instant Scan. I'm fairly certain that there also used to be a Retrospect Helper service in the past. Not 100% sure whether it disappeared as a result of the April Update.

I am seeing the same thing, running Retrospect 15,  with 2 out of 6 Windows 10 clients that have been upgraded to the Windows 10 April Update (v1803).

So 2 have this error after update, the other 4 do not.

Reverting the Windows 10 April Update on the 2 clients fixes it.

Did not have time to investigate further yet but it would be nice to know what exactly is write protected on the client.

At each run of the Retrospect backup, I can see 6 occurrences of the following event in the Event Viewer on my client :

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process. 

Operation:
   Gathering Writer Data

Context:
   Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
   Writer Name: System Writer
   Writer Instance ID: {9c98913d-3b48-4c53-9a0a-14b72efc38cb}

hevanw or Hofstede,

Here's why and how to file a Support Case for what is an apparent incompatibility between Retrospect Windows 15 and the Windows 10 April Update.  Depending on how recently you upgraded to Retrospect Windows 15, you may be entitled to personalized help in fixing the problem even if you haven't paid for ASM.

I fought this error, sometimes frequently and sometimes sporadically, on several systems for quite some time. Filed a support case which came back with several suggestions. Of course I tried them all in what I thought was most-to-least likely to succeed. And the least likely solution, to me at first, was the winner.

The solution that works every time and totally stops this error is to move the catalogs out from under the My Documents directory. I could lecture you on the stupid attempt to "virtualize" user files which Microsoft started trying to accomplish with Vista, but I'm convinced that's what creates this problem. Of course it's pointless and unnecessary, and Microsoft keeps bungling around with it.

You can search this forum for instructions from a user named Scillian (I recall) to do this, but these are instructions of his I modified and have in my own KB.

The catalog files can be moved to another drive or directory.  I use C:\Catalogs

With Windows Explorer, or your file manger of choice, copy the catalog file to its new location.

In the Backup Sets dialog select the Backup Set whose catalog you want to move and click Forget....

Back in Retrospect click More... in the Backup Sets dialog then Open...in the following dialog. Navigate to the new location of the catalog file, select the file then click Open.

Then you'll need to go to Manage Scripts and update all sources and/or destinations that are not defined because when you forget/move the catalogs the backup set will be deleted from scripts wherever they're found.  This part can be time-consuming and error prone, and it will test your memory, so keep checking the logs for errors until you find them all.

Good luck.

Just to give credit, the user is named Scillonian, because he/she is located on the Isles of Scilly in the UK.  He/she is one of the stalwarts on these Forums, and handles difficult questions that I cannot—especially Windows-related ones.

The third paragraph of this 2015 post seems to contain the instructions that mbennett has modified.

I am sorry, but we are talking about clients generating an error. So in my opinion nothing to do with the server and location of catalog files. (And I already have my catalog files in a different location for ages).

With some additional testing I discovered:

- Reverting to previous Windows 10 build: No -1103 errors. Everything works as expected.

- Reinstalling build 1803: Error returns. 

- Cleanup, disk check, "sfc /scannow", reinstall Windows 10 1803 over existing install did not help.

- Backup runs if you turn "Backup open files" off. So it probably has something to do with VSS.

On the client machines I don't see any errors whatsoever in the event logs. So it is hard to figure out what causes the scanning process to fail.

Difference between the 4 that work and the 2 that don't is that I reinstalled the 4 machines that work  a few months ago, the 2 that don't work have never been reinstalled.

4 hours ago, mbennett said:

The solution that works every time and totally stops this error is to move the catalogs out from under the My Documents directory.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work, and neither did I expect it to work :

1. All catalog files are stored at server side. And the catalog files of all clients are in that same Documents folder.

2. The problem only occurs with a client that has upgraded to the April Update.

3. The abovementioned Error Event is also observed at the Client side.

I'll go file a Support Case as David suggested.

31 minutes ago, Hofstede said:

- Backup runs if you turn "Backup open files" off. So it probably has something to do with VSS.

On the client machines I don't see any errors whatsoever in the event logs. So it is hard to figure out what causes the scanning process to fail.

Difference between the 4 that work and the 2 that don't is that I reinstalled the 4 machines that work  a few months ago, the 2 that don't work have never been reinstalled.

I'm glad to hear there is a workaround even though it will not backup open files, but that's good enough for now. Thanks!

So it's weird that your Event Log does not show anything... Don't know if you saw my post above, as I indeed do have error events pertaining to VSS. 

Also, my client machine where I have the problem happens to have been fully reinstalled as well on Dec 20 last year.

My testing so far suggests to me that during the upgrade from Windows 10 1709 (16299) to Windows 10 1803 (17134) some security settings related to Windows services are not being carried forward correctly. In the case of the Retrospect Client this is preventing it from correctly interacting with VSS for system volumes. The test machine I have 1803 installed on has two volumes — a system volume and a data volume. The system volume fails with the above error but the data volume completes without error.

Initial comparison of some security permissions between a 1709 Client and the 1803 Client show some settings missing. However to be certain it is not something I changed in the past I'll need to do some more checking and do an 1803 clean install on something.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Scillonian said:

My testing so far suggests to me that during the upgrade from Windows 10 1709 (16299) to Windows 10 1803 (17134) some security settings related to Windows services are not being carried forward correctly.

I don't think that's what's happening, or I may be misunderstanding you. I just did a complete fresh install of an old laptop from scratch to Windows 10 April Update, and I'm having the problem also with this laptop. So it's not a matter of permissions disappearing upon doing the April Update, because the problem is also there with a fresh install.

hevanw,

Sorry my suggestion didn't work out, and apologies to Scillonian for the error in the name.  Please be sure to share the solution if/when you find it.  This error was the bane of my existence for several weeks and I'm really unhappy to see that it might pop up and bite me again. :(

4 hours ago, hevanw said:

I don't think that's what's happening, or I may be misunderstanding you. I just did a complete fresh install of an old laptop from scratch to Windows 10 April Update, and I'm having the problem also with this laptop. So it's not a matter of permissions disappearing upon doing the April Update, because the problem is also there with a fresh install.

I changed a few permissions during my testing and I managed to get the VSS error to go away and also a backup of the system volume to partially work which led me down the path of it being a permissions migration problem. However I ran out of time so got no further.

The changes on the 1709 machine were ones I had made some time ago related to VSS warnings in the Windows Event Log.

Could this problem be related to the age of the processor? The machine I was testing on has a Core 2 Duo Q6600 processor. What is the processor in your old laptop?

However this suggests that Retrospect Client can work with 1803:

14 hours ago, Hofstede said:

Hofstede: What are the processors in the four that work and the two that don't work?

It may be nothing but I have in the back of my mind reading something about Windows 10 and hardware (processor) based security features in Windows 10 1803 that require recent processors to work correctly.

4 hours ago, mbennett said:

... and apologies to Scillonian for the error in the name.

No problem. 

Hi,

I have the same error 1103 issue with Retrospect 12.6.1.101 after updating to Windows 1803.

Both Duplicate and backup jobs dealing with "C Drive" were failing. ("D Drive - a data drive -  was still working fine.)

It does seem to be an issue with VSS permissions?

Interestingly, when I ran the Duplication job "interactively" from within retrospect, the job was successful (although a duplication job that normally takes about 10 minutes took just over 2 hours.) This is because the job included the newly created Windows.old folder as well as the new Windows files that landed with the 1803 update.

Something just over 230,000 files were involved.

I then ran the Backup job "interactively" and that was also successful.

Possibly some issue with a scheduled run not picking up that the user does have Admin rights?

I have made no changes at all to VSS settings so I will be interested to see if the next scheduled Duplication and backup jobs fail again (non-interactive jobs).

Food for thought?

Edited by Lucky_Phil
typo

The machines that don't work are 3 and 1 years old. The 4 machines that work are ranging from 6 years to 3 months old with all kind of different processor types.

For testing purposes I did a complete reinstall of one machine (after making an image backup). 

- Reinstall Windows 10 over existing install without keeping settings: Same error.

- Reinstall Windows 10 after completely removing all partitions on the drive: Backup works again.

Going to try that on the other machine tonight.

1 hour ago, Hofstede said:

- Reinstall Windows 10 after completely removing all partitions on the drive: Backup works again.

That's what I did on my very old AMD E-450 netbook. Wiped all the partitions and did a fresh re-install, and the backup is not working with Open Files Backup enabled. The other machine I have the problem with, is the first machine on which I did the April Update and that's my Surface Pro 3 with an i7-4650u.

I have two more machines at home from wife and the kids, but those are still on the previous Windows 10 build. I'll try the kids' laptop next to see what that gives.

I have also submitted a Support Case and they have confirmed they have seen it with other customers already as well. So I assume they are investigating it and I have provided them log files. Just hope the fix does not require a new release and I'll be forced to pay for an upgrade to v15.

PS: are we all talking about client-server backups ? Or do some folks have an issue also with a local backup ? For me, the local backup of the Server is working fine, even though I would suppose that Retrospect Desktop would require the same permissions as the Retrospect Client would need. So that would indicate the permissions problem is limited to Retrospect Client.

According to Support, the Error Event that I posted above, is not related to the issue and is something that can happen and can be ignored. This indeed seems to be correct since on my Netbook I am not seeing that Event, even though the backup fails in exactly the same way.

I'll now try on my Netbook to install the full Retrospect version and see if I can make a backup locally.

1 hour ago, Lucky_Phil said:

So, in my case, running the job interactively does work, but having it run from the scheduler sees it fail.

When you say interactively, do you mean using 'immediate backup' ? Also, is that a local backup or a backup of a remote machine ?

I just tried 'immediate backup' on my server to backup my client device, and I'm again getting the -1103 error.

1 hour ago, hevanw said:

When you say interactively, do you mean using 'immediate backup' ? Also, is that a local backup or a backup of a remote machine ?

I just tried 'immediate backup' on my server to backup my client device, and I'm again getting the -1103 error.

No, what I'm doing is just entering Retrospect and selecting the Duplicate script job to run. For some reason it works for me when I do that, but the same job fails when fired off by the scheduler. This is a local "Duplicate C" job.

Hi All, 

Thought I would chime in here since there seems to be a good amount of info going back and forth.

First, if you haven't yet, anyone who is seeing this issue please create a support ticket (https://www.retrospect.com/en/support/contact) with the following information:

-CPU model 

-32/64bit OS?

-Whether or not your system is a UEFI based system.

-Whether or not your system has a "system reserved" partition or not

-Whether or not your system is a VM

-Which Antivirus is in use, if any

-If you try installing the Retrospect application itself (instead of the client) do you encounter the same 1103 error during scan?

-Please send us a screenshot of your Disk Management window.

We have a few Win 10 systems in our test environment, we've updated them all to build 1803 and haven't encountered the issue. This tells us there are some prerequisites that need to be met in order to encounter the problem. Understanding the similarities between the systems that are seeing it versus the ones that aren't should help us reproduce the issue. 

hevanw,

I just did a complete fresh install of an old laptop from scratch to Windows 10 April Update, and I'm having the problem also with this laptop.

I see you have a case opened. This is pretty important information, thanks for reporting it. Could you please respond to the case with the requested information above?

Mbennett,

While I can't guarantee you won't see the error again, the 1103 error that you were seeing was occurring when saving the catalog, which is quite a bit different than when the error is encountered during a scan. One is a permissions error when when writing to a disk, the other appears to be an error accessing VSS for our scan. So unless you are seeing the scanning error immediately following the update to 1803, you should be all set.

Lucky_Phil,

So, in my case, running the job interactively does work, but having it run from the scheduler sees it fail.

This is interesting. Do you have instant scan enabled? The only difference that I can think of between a scheduled versus a manual backup would be that Instant scan is not used during a manual "immediate" backup/duplicate. I guess its possible that the options could be different as well. What about if you just head to the Run menu and select your script, then kick it off from there? 

You've gotta love Windows updates... 

Thanks all, 

-Jeff 

@eppinizer:

The first machine I had the problem on is an Intel Compute Stick (STK2m3W64CC) running Windows Home. This machine has the default Recovery, EFI and Windows partition created by Windows during install.

This machine performed backups normally after I wiped the drive and did a clean Windows 10 Home install. But after a day the problem returned.

The second machine is an Asus Zenbook UX305LA running Windows Pro. This machine has an EFI, Recovery, Windows system and a data partition.

On this machine I also tried a complete wipe and reinstall. After reinstall the machine only had the standard Recovery, EFI and Windows system partition. But even after this completely fresh install I have the -1103 error. The only software I installed on this machine after the fresh install was the Retrospect 15.0 client. So no custom drivers / software whatsoever.

So it looks like the error pops up during the scanning of the volume. With older versions there was an option for advanced settings (ALT-P-P ?) so you could increase logging. Is that option still available?

1 hour ago, Hofstede said:

The first machine I had the problem on is an Intel Compute Stick (STK2m3W64CC) running Windows Home. This machine has the default Recovery, EFI and Windows partition created by Windows during install.

This machine performed backups normally after I wiped the drive and did a clean Windows 10 Home install. But after a day the problem returned.

The second machine is an Asus Zenbook UX305LA running Windows Pro. This machine has an EFI, Recovery, Windows system and a data partition.

On this machine I also tried a complete wipe and reinstall. After reinstall the machine only had the standard Recovery, EFI and Windows system partition. But even after this completely fresh install I have the -1103 error. The only software I installed on this machine after the fresh install was the Retrospect 15.0 client. So no custom drivers / software whatsoever.

Are you using an online Microsoft Account (MSA) or an offline Local Account to login to these machines?

I am about to start a clean install of 1803 on a 2012 Dell laptop and was wondering whether to add this permutation to the testing.