after fresh install of Windows 10, can't reassign client name (time urgent - going on long business trip Saturday)

x509

I hope I don't come across like a newbie whiner, because I'm not one.

Something went terribly wrong with the the Windows 10 install on my laptop, so I had to wipe the partition and do a fresh install.  I gave the laptop the same system name it had before.  Then I installed the Retrospect client.  Client status is "ready for Retrospect login."  The laptop is a client of the Retrospect Professional (v. 12) installed on my desktop.  However, I can't seem to get Retrospect to recognize the client.

At first, Retrospect can't find the client (error 530.)  In the client properties window, under the Access tab, I clicked on Change, and then Retrospect found the client, but the name is greyed out.  So I selected the client name and clicked OK.  Here is the problem.  Retrospect opened a window with "Really rename backup client to client, replace it in the Client Database.  I clicked OK, but Retrospect gave me a 560 error, "invalid private/public key."  Do I need to change the key that I used when I installed the client?  How?

What do I do now?

If I tried to ADD the laptop as a new client (I have a spare license), I don't think I can restore from the old client to the new client.  And what I want to do now is restore the entire Windows partition, so I don't have to reinstall many, many programs, etc.

I'm kind of desperate here, because I need the laptop to get some work done before I go out of town for a two week trip, which starts Saturday. 

Thanks.

Edited by x509
fixed a typo

On the Backup Server you will need to Forget the old instance of the Client and add it again.

Even though this is a new instance of the Client on the Backup Server you will still be able to restore from the backups of the old instance including a full system restore.

Replying to my own post, after considerable futzing around in the Client Properties window, I was able to enter the password for my newly installed client, and then, finally, Retrospect connected to the client.  I had to Forget the old drive C and restore to the new drive C.

The restore, replacing all files on the volume, is proceeding but I am getting massive number of this error message:

File "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.9029.22105.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\images\contrast-white\HxCalendarAppList.targetsize-256_altform-unplated.png": can't write, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

Most files seem to be restoring properly.  How do I address this new issue?

The files and folders in the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ folder tree are for Windows Store UWP offerings and only TrustedInstaller and SYSTEM accounts have Full control permissions here which is needed for a restore. In theory the Retrospect Client should be able the restore here, as it runs under the SYSTEM account, but Microsoft have locked-down this folder so much that it is difficult to view the permissions of the folder let alone see what is in the folder!

There is also the C:\Windows\SystemApps\ folder tree for Windows System UWP applications and only TrustedInstallerSYSTEMCREATOR OWNER and Adminstrators accounts have Full control permissions here which are needed for a restore. In theory the Retrospect Client should be able to restore here, as it runs under the SYSTEM account, but Microsoft have locked down this folder so much that by default it is not possible to even see what is in this folder.

As far as a backup is concerned the Retrospect Client has sufficient permissions.

I'll update this later with more details when back at desktop instead of a Nexus 7.

Edited by Scillonian
Updated account permissions information.