Retrospect v.14.5 error -1,101 (file/directory not found)

I’m beginning to see a pattern of errors in Retrospect v.14.5. It seems to be happening with only on computers that have upgraded to OS 10.13.3. (OS 10.12 & prior are fine.) Retrospect finds the volume, and reads like this:

3/13/18   2:28:53 AM: Copying [computer name] on [computer name]
While scanning volume [computer name],
Folder [computername]/private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Store/

Scanning incomplete, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)

Then Retrospect continues to match and backup files on that computer but marks the entire script as unsuccessful (as indicated by the red dot with an X). How can I resolve this?

CherylB,

This post on Ask Different sounds so much like your problem that I'm wondering if "Moisie" might be you.  If so, then you may have some of your 45 days of free Retrospect Tech Support left, so I would call them and ask about what may be a read/write permission issue—as "Sayan" says in the reply to that post.  If your 45 days have run out and you don't have Annual Support & Maintenance, I urge you to open a Support Case as described here—but you might always try phoning Support in case the head of Retrospect Tech Support (who seems to be the person who usually answers the phone these days) takes pity on you because this turns out to be a new macOS 10.13.3 problem.

An alternative temporary approach would be to exclude folder [computername]/private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Store/ from the backup.  The way to do that is described in rhwalker's post in this old thread.

Another approach worth trying is to upgrade your "backup server" and the affected "client" computers to Retrospect Mac 14.6.  That has an enhancement, described in this Knowledge Base article, that may eliminate your -1101 error messages.

In any case, good luck.  As a fuddy-duddy who is currently sticking with macOS 10.12 Sierra, I'm afraid that I can't resist saying that pioneering in the High Sierra can be daunting (insert appropriate smiley here).

Thanks for the reply David. No, I'm not "Moisie". Guess I'm a "fuddy-duddy" too since I'm sticking with OS 10.12 for now but many of the users I support ran the upgrade. We are in the process of soon upgrading to Retrospect V.15 but I will try your suggestions and reply back here.

7 hours ago, CherylB said:

Thanks for the reply David. No, I'm not "Moisie". Guess I'm a "fuddy-duddy" too since I'm sticking with OS 10.12 for now but many of the users I support ran the upgrade. We are in the process of soon upgrading to Retrospect V.15 but I will try your suggestions and reply back here.

CherylB,

If your installation is going to upgrade to Retrospect Mac 15 soon, then IMHO you should open a Support Case ASAP.  Whenever Retrospect x.0 is released in March, there is usually a Retrospect x.1 released in June to make bug fixes that either didn't make it into the March release—or were caused by errors in the x.0 release itself.  If you move fast, and your bug is reproducible, there's a chance—especially since the bug seems to be related to a new version of macOS—that it'll be fixed in Retrospect Mac 15.1 in June.

If you file a Support Case fast then, even if the Retrospect Inc. engineers can't fix your bug in time for the Retrospect Mac 15.1 release, they're likely to give you a non-release version so you can beta-test the fix.  That's what they did for saskia, and I think the released fix for her bug is #7046 in the Retrospect Mac 15.0 Release Notes.  Those same Release Notes don't seem to indicate that your bug has been fixed in Retrospect Mac 15.0.

Edited by DavidHertzberg
Added 2nd paragraph, which accidentally got left out of my original version of this post

• 2 weeks later...

For what it’s worth, I’m running 14.6.1 (client 14.6.0.127) and see the same issue with /private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Store/, so it’s not addressed there.

That directory/file appears to be blocked even from root access under OS X 10.3.3:

[Aku:~] root# ls -l /private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles
  ls: Store: Operation not permitted
  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    0 Nov 28  2016 .cloudConfigNoActivationRecord

The log shows it’s blocked by a sandbox rule; my suspicion is it may hold passwords or other data considered too sensitive for even root to access by default.

2018-03-26 10:38:59.916804-0500 0x31b933b  Error       0x0                  149    14   sandboxd: [com.apple.sandbox.reporting:violation] Sandbox: tcsh(99190) System Policy: deny file-read-metadata /private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Store
  Violation:       System Policy: deny file-read-metadata /private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Store 
MetaData: {"build":"Mac OS X 10.13.3 (17D102)","action":"deny","target":["private","var","db","ConfigurationProfiles","Store"],"hardware":"Mac","platform_binary":"yes","profile":"unknown","process":"tcsh","op":"file-read-metadata"}

It’d be nice if Retrospect could detect the issue and, as you say, avoid flagging the backup as failed.

Running 14.6.1 (client 14.6.0.127) did not resolve the error issue for me either so I began updating to v.15 last week. So far, the computers that have been upgraded to v.15 do not give the error -1,101 (file/directory not found).  If that changes I will update this ticket. 

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: Upgrading clients to v.15 (15.0.0.190) works on many but not all. Some clients running OS 10.13.4 are getting tagged with error -1,101.  

[date] [time] Copying [computer name] on [computer name]
Whie scanning volume [computer name],
Folder  computer name/private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Store/

Scanning incomplete, error -1,101 (file/directory not found)
[date] [time] Found: 982320 files, 218259 folders, 98.8 GB

The Log tells me it finished matching these files, builds a Snapshot, Stores it, but Execution is incomplete.

I go back to Sources and check Summary and Status for this particular computer is listed as "Backed up". Again, in Sources I refresh this machine and do not get an error messages. So I am ran a back up now but continue to get this same error.  Suggestions welcome.

CherylB, meet the head of Retrospect Tech Support.  He'd obviously like you to upgrade to Retrospect Mac 15 for everything, evidently including the "backup server"—which will cost money if you haven't done it already.  If you haven't, you can talk to him using Retrospect Sales as an intermediary.  If you have, then you're probably still entitled to free tech support on this matter—by insisting that Retrospect Inc. owes you the version with the bug fix.