derek500

how to open retrospect without quitting running jobs?

I recently migrated from Retrospect Server Mac to Retrospect Server Windows. I am running Retrospect MultiServer on a Windows Server machine that is normally logged out. I dug around and found the steps to allow Retrospect to run as a service and work while no user is logged into the computer, but I have one issue - when a backup job is running and I log into the system and open the Retrospect console, Retrospect quits and re-launches, ending any running backup jobs. How can I avoid this (besides waiting until Retrospect is idle)? I set up a 'service' user for Retrospect to run as, and when I open Retrospect it re-launches as the currently logged in user. I tried logging onto the machine as that service user but it still quits and re-launches (as the same user). Is there a way to open Retrospect without making it quit first?

On the Mac version I considered the 'Engine' and 'Console' two completely separate items and you could open a Console from any computer without stopping the Engine. On the Windows version this doesn't seem to be the case. Otherwise my shift from Mac to Windows for Retrospect has been smooth.

Thanks!

On the Windows platform Retrospect is a monolithic application. The reason for the behaviour you have observed is because of security features that were introduced with Windows 7. In short the restrictions are that any application that is automatically launched in not able to interact directly with a user, even if it was launched as that user.

For Retrospect to Work on Windows the same way it does on Mac will [apparently] require a substantial rewrite. There have been hints in the past from Retrospect staff that they thinking about doing this, maybe, one day but that is about it for now.

derek500,

To understand the situation prior to 5 September 2017, you should first read the paragraph after the bulleted items in this section of the old Wikipedia article and also read the second bulleted item in this section directly following it.  Since I started writing this post, Scillonian has posted summarizing the second sentence in the first paragraph—but not the rest of the paragraph outlining the workarounds.

Next, if you are fortunate enough to have Retrospect Windows 12.5, you should read the entirety of this post in the Retrospect Windows Professional Forum.  Be sure to read the quoted explanation from Jeff of Retrospect Tech Support, since the  "short explanation available to the user to explain what is going on, and how to use the dashboard" did not in fact "make it in" to the 12.5 revision of the "What's New" chapter of the Retrospect Windows 12 User's Guide.  I waver between two explanations for why the august committee at Retrospect Inc.—which the head of Tech Support has previously informed us does not include anyone from his department—failed to include the "short explanation": [1] They were too rushed to get an explanation from Jeff. [2] They were too ashamed of having taken 3 years to fix the bug.

Finally, if you can't install Retrospect Windows 12.5 or 12.6 and/or you are curious, you should read the rest of the thread that precedes the Forums post I linked to in the first sentence of the second paragraph of this post.  DovidBenAvraham, who did the massive expansion of the Wikipedia article over two years and was forced to participate in its later drastic pruning, read that thread before summarizing it in the first of the two WP paragraphs linked to in the first paragraph of this post, so maybe you don't need to.  If you do, it will help to know that Don Lee was still using the "handle" iCompute when he started the Forums thread—and that mbennett was still using the "handle" ProFromGrover when he contributed to it.

Edited by DavidHertzberg
DovidBenAvraham participated in the later drastic pruning of the WP article

Thanks to both of you for your replies. The only solution I see at this time is to leave the console open and never log off but I don't like the idea of leaving disconnected RDP sessions. We will consider our options for now.

We are running 12.5 - is 12.6 any different?

21 hours ago, Scillonian said:

For Retrospect to Work on Windows the same way it does on Mac will [apparently] require a substantial rewrite. There have been hints in the past from Retrospect staff that they thinking about doing this, maybe, one day but that is about it for now.

I had a reply six months ago from Jeff of Retrospect Tech Support that a Retrospect Windows UI overhaul is pending, but derek500 should not expect it in the near future.

As covered in this Product Suggestions—Windows forums thread, there seem to be three basic approaches to work around the Windows security features in order to add a Console capability to Retrospect Windows:
[1] Use the inter-process communications capabilities that were built into Retrospect Windows, and which Don Lee—under his former "handle" of iCompute—used when he got a Retrospect Mac Console to sort-of communicate with Retrospect.exe in Windows.  However, as I stated in this post in the Suggestions thread, that may mean that the Retrospect Windows Console would have to run on a separate machine from Retrospect.exe—which might not be a substantial problem for administrators such as derek500.

[2] Use the approach that is used in a Retrospect Inc. product that I can only refer to on these forums as R. V., but which we are all free to read about here.  However I pointed out in this post in the Suggestions thread that that particular work-around seems to require the equivalent of the current Retrospect.exe in Windows to run within a virtual machine manager.  Based on a reply I got from Retrospect Tech Support, that work-around would mean that there could be no non-virtual-machine "clients", because "Retrospect Client is not a concept that exists [my emphasis] with the R. V. [my elision of the product name] ecosystem".

[3] Use the approach that is used in a competing client-server backup product for Macintosh, which does seem to have a fully-interactive Console equivalent.  However I pointed out in this post in the Suggestions thread that that particular work-around would seem to require giving Retrospect.exe in Windows a Web server capability, which sounds like it would be a substantial amount of work.

Edited by DavidHertzberg
got rid of displays of starts of linked posts at bottom, after finally noticing a double-quote-mark after them