Error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

haggis999

I'm running Retrospect Professional 10.5 under Windows 10 and my backups are stored on a Synology NAS. I have several automated daily backup jobs that have been running successfully for several years, but one of them has recently started to fail with the following error message.

• Can't access volume XXXX on YYYY, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

My Startup Preferences are configured to use the Retrospect Launcher service, so Retrospect is normally opened and closed automatically. If I open Retrospect manually and leave it open then the job works fine, but when Retrospect is left to launch automatically then it always fails.

I have not altered anything in my Retrospect configuration for a very long time and can't think of any reason why its behaviour should have changed during the past few days.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

This Knowledge Base article may deal with your problem, even though it was written in 2012.

On the other hand, there are a number of Forums posts, some as recent as 2016, that may also deal with it.  Search for them with the brand-spanking new Forums software by clicking the magnifying-glass icon inside the Search box at the upper-right of the window, one line below the word "Retrospect" on the left-hand side.  Type "-1017" into the Search Term box to the right of the magnifying-glass icon; include the surrounding quotes, to avoid finding posts that merely have the number 2017 in them.

Edited by DavidHertzberg
Deleted extra blank line

Hi David,
The KB article just appears to address initial setup issues for automated backups. I did that successfully a long time ago.

Thanks for the search advice. I had already run a search for Error -1017 in the Professional forum, but this produced a long list of hits relating to different error messages, despite the results being sorted by relevancy. A search for "-1017" was much more useful, though I fail to see why my original search did not include these results.

I will now check out those previous posts to see if I can find anything of use in my current situation.

This rings a bell, since something like it came up for my friend DovidBenAvraham, who has been (under pressure from other editors) been updating the Wikipedia article on Retrospect. Try looking at this Knowledge Base article.  I also understand (said the Mac administrator sneeringly :lol:) that there have been a number of recent problems relating to the interface of Retrospect to newer versions of Windows 10.

That KB article doesn't appear to contain anything relevant. It merely addresses some of the basic issues regarding how to configure Retrospect for auto launching, something I sorted out a long time ago.

However, it now appears that an issue with the Windows 10 network discovery process is the most likely source of my problem. If I open up Windows Explorer and click on the Network icon, it is not currently displaying my NAS drives (something it normally does), though they are listed under 'Other devices'. I have seen this before and have never found the cause, but it just tends to go away after a few days and everything returns to normal. It's very irritating. Grrrrrrr.   

2 hours ago, haggis999 said:

However, it now appears that an issue with the Windows 10 network discovery process is the most likely source of my problem. If I open up Windows Explorer and click on the Network icon, it is not currently displaying my NAS drives (something it normally does), though they are listed under 'Other devices'. I have seen this before and have never found the cause, but it just tends to go away after a few days and everything returns to normal. It's very irritating. Grrrrrrr.   

Then you'll want to look at this thread, although it's talking about unreachable Catalog Files.  The third post, by the very-knowledgeable Scillonian, sounds as if it may be your solution.