Strange warning when restoring

gnoelken

Hello,

I am using images in this post in hopes that it will clarify what I am doing. I apologize if they don't do that. Please let me know if any further info is required.

I'm using Retrospect Version 10.5:

post-21795-0-84020500-1503182278_thumb.jpg

I am trying to restore my Windows 10 PC from a backup, because I could no longer boot into Windows 10 when when powering on. I am using the Retrospect Recovery CD. I first tried to restore over the original windows installation, but that failed with the same errors and I still could not boot into Windows.

So I deleted the Windows partition and reinstalled Windows from a Windows installation CD. I can now boot into Windows 10. 

I then used the Retrospect Recovery CD and attempted to restore the Windows drive from my backup set (named "Archive_Drive"). I configure the restore options as the image below shows:

post-21795-0-54846200-1503182223_thumb.jpg

Within minutes after starting the restore, I get a dialog box that states "Warning: All data on the following volumes will be lost:" The volume is the drive that contains the backup set used to restore the drive:

post-21795-0-11106300-1503182255_thumb.jpg

At this point I cancel the operation. I have tried renaming the Windows drive letter to "C:" but the same dialog box appears. I don't want to click "OK" since I fear that it will wipe out my backup set files!

Here is a list of the drive configuration (from the Retrospect Recovery CD "Configure drives" option):

post-21795-0-28516600-1503182270_thumb.jpg

I am restoring to the "G:" drive.

Any help is appreciated.

Greg Noelken

post-21795-0-64520800-1503182240_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, I have never seen something like that.

Although Retrospect 10.5 does support Windows 10, you need Retrospect 11.5 to support Windows 10 anniversary update.

And if you installed Windows Creators Update, you would need Retrospect 12.1.

http://www.retrospect.com/en/documentation/user_guide/win/release_notes

Although Retrospect 10.5 does support Windows 10, you need Retrospect 11.5 to support Windows 10 anniversary update.

And if you installed Windows Creators Update, you would need Retrospect 12.1.

That may be the issue. I did have the Windows 10 anniversary update. I wound up doing a fresh install with the "Refresh Windows Tool" from Microsoft.

Thanks for the info on the compatibility with the newer versions. I'll look into getting an upgrade.

And thank you Lennart for the prompt reply and assistance.

Regards,

Greg