Start Retrospect Client via shell script

I'd like to be able to turn on Retrospect Client via the Command Line. (We manage several Macs via Jamf Pro). Updating the client from the server often doesn't work.

I tried the command on this forum: http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/18743-retrospect-client-turn-off-and-on-by-script/ but I get: 

execution error: System Events got an error: Can’t get window 1 of process "Retrospect Client". Invalid index. (-1719)

The command isn't really what I want, I'd prefer something that does not disturb the user.

What I'd like is a bash script to turn on Retrospect Client if it is off.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

James.

• 2 months later...

If I am understanding your request correctly you want to be able to turn on an already installed Mac Retrospect Client.

For the benefit of everyone I have encountered a similar need when pushing out to all our Macs an updated version of the Retrospect Client software. If you manually run the newer client installer on a Mac which already has an older version installed and turned on then normally after the update has completed it will auto start the newly updated version. However I was finding that when updating via Munki that it failed to start although it would auto start after a reboot, I therefore have found a command line means to do this and hopefully it will work for you. Munki would I feel be doing a similar job to JAMF in this case.

I run the following as a post-install script for Munki.

#!/bin/sh
launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroclient.plist
exit

If anyone needs to, the reverse i.e. turning 'off' the Retrospect Client would be as follows.

#!/bin/sh
launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroclient.plist
exit