Migrate Current Member to Larger Drive

Hi, we have a media set with the latest/current member being a 2TB HD. It is less then half full so far. Sorry if this is an obvious answer, but have a question about effectively transferring this member to a larger drive.

- How do we 'migrate' this current media set member to a larger HD we'll be purchasing (we're getting a 3-6TB RAID 1 external), without 'capping' the current drive and adding a new member?

We'd just like to repurpose the existing 2TB drive for something else while not throwing the current backups off at all. I would assume I could just copy the contents of the current drive to the new, but just don't know if that throws Retrospect off for any reason.

Thanks!

Create a new media set with the new RAID as a member.

In Retrospect, "Copy Media Set" from the old set to the new set (with verify).

Change your script to use the new media set.

Finally "Forget" the old media set. You will get a warning if you forgot any script using it.

http://download.retrospect.com/docs/mac/v13/user_guide/Retrospect_Mac_User_Guide-EN.pdf

Page 159.

Thanks for the reply. I just want to be sure that this process would only copy over the data from the current media MEMBER, not the entire media SET. Is this correct??

The current media member (external HD) has about 1TB of backup data on it. I just wanted to transfer that to the new larger HD and have that one take over as the current member in the media set.

No way to have Retrospect think that the new larger HD is the current media member (which is disk 5 of 5)?

Thanks!

I misunderstood. Sorry.

I thought you were replacing all the old media set members with a new, larger (single) drive (in a new media set).

I have done that on the Windows version some years ago. I don't know how to do it on the Mac version.

Anyway, is it worth the trouble? I mean, how much does a 1 TB drive cost nowadays? Or even if it's a half full 2 TB drive, you could just buy a new one for not much money.

OK, thanks. The drive was about $130, so not a complete waste. Was just thinking that it wouldn't be hard to migrate it over.

I guess I can try to do a direct clone of the current media set drive to the new drive, after partitioning & labeling the new drive the same as the old, and see if Retrospect saw it correctly. Not sure if it would recognize the suddenly larger partition, though.