Retrospect Interface Improvements Suggested

Dantz Friends,

Hi, I am a satisfied user of Retrospect Desktop Backup for Windows.

I changed from Veritas Backup Exec Desktop Pro Version 4.5, after some research, and I very pleased that I did.

I had the opportunity to upgrade to the Veritas "Backup MyPC" software, but it added very little additional functionality. Overall, Dantz gives me the control that I and my professional SOHO clients need, and that was unavailable in low-end software or in the Veritas software.

However, I'd like to suggest that Dantz move towards a better conformance to Windows interface standards. I could make a lengthy list of things that don't quite behave the way one expects, such as missing buttons, child windows that can't be moved out of the Dantz desktop, and ridiculously inadequate documentation (e.g. no help for the Client). Finally, the Dantz website needs a redesign, it's kind of oddly set up, and again offers less information than one would like. It seems that one is expected to either know a lot or a little about Dantz -- but the folks in the middle are, I would think, rather frustrated or disappointed.

Overall I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the product. However, I think one needs to remember that backup software is something that one uses infrequently, and that therefore conformance to expectations is essential to ensuring that mistakes aren't made.

Thanks for considering these comments. Look forward to more developments from the team.

John-In-Canada

• 1 month later...

Archived