Problems with emergency client restore

rfajman

I've been trying to do an emergency client restore of the boot partition on a Windows 10 PC using Retrospect 11.5 Professional. It's restoring a backup of a pre-Anniversary Update version over an Anniversary Update version. I am getting hundreds of errors like these

File "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.XboxApp_15.18.14017.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\XboxApp.UI\Resources\Images\URC\remote_forward_icon.png": can't link to "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.XboxApp_19.21.23005.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\XboxApp.UI\Resources\Images\URC\remote_forward_icon.png", error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ZuneMusic_3.6.25021.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Assets\music_welcome_page2.jpg": can't link to "C:\Windows\InfusedApps\Packages\Microsoft.ZuneMusic_3.6.13251.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Images\FUE\fue_background4.jpg", error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Then it ends with

Trouble writing folder "\\?\Volume{8a931c6c-0000-0000-0000-500600000000}\\Users\DefaultAppPool\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5", error -1101 (file/directory not found)

10/10/2016 7:57:03 PM: Execution incomplete

Completed: 136375 files, 34.6 GB

Performance: 696.4 MB/minute

Duration: 01:04:11 (00:13:26 idle/loading/preparing)

Why?

P.S. - Is there some way to do a search in these forums?

• 3 months later...

This appears to be a problem with both the WIndows and the Mac versions.  WIth Retrospect for Mac 13.5 trying to restore a Windows 10 client I get the same hundreds of errors.

I have had the same problems and have not been able to fix the failure of the WindowsApps folder's restore.  This is where the built-in Metro Applications are stored.  The restored PC boots but the Windows menu and all the built in apps are not working. I have tried to reregister them, but there are errors with the manifests that prevent them from loading. 

There are also  additional errors in the Retrospect log like this:

*File "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_10.1510.12020.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Assets\AlarmsAppList.contrast-white_scale-100.png": can't link to "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_10.1612.3343.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Assets\AlarmsAppList.contrast-white_scale-100.png", error -1,017 (insufficient permissions)

I think maybe the first file name is the pre-Anniversary version.  The second is the post Anniversary version that was put into place after doing a WIndows reset to get my PC to boot.  So apparently the restoration does not have sufficient permissions to put the older metro apps back once a fresh Anniversary edition is installed with the reset.

The SYSTEM account and Trusted Installer are the only two accounts that have full  control permissions to the WindowsApps folder.  The Administrators on the machine have only read and list permissions by default.  Not sure why the Retrospect client can't get to it during the restore; I figured it was running under the SYSTEM account, but maybe not. 

The root problem is that we no longer have the option of making a disaster recovery disk which does not depend on first having to install a fresh copy of WIndows to match the version I am trying to restore.  Kinda defeats the whole idea of Retrospect.