Emergency Restore of Win7 Boot Drive - Error 625

dzeleznik

I detected corruption of my Win7 backup server's boot C: drive and set about to do an emergency restore using my Retrospect 11 emergency recovery CD. This is a local restore since the file backup sets and catalogs are on locally attached USB hard drives. The Win7 machine has 8GB memory. Using the recovery CD I:
- Choose Restore
- Switch to Advanced Mode
- Select Restore an entire volume
- Choose any of the appropriate backup sets, there are 1703 sessions for this machine

Pass 1 progress pie starts going and it gets to matching 36,300 of 512,000 files at which point I get the error "Sorry, restore preparation failed, error -625 (not enough memory). Just as a test, I tried selecting much smaller backup sets for other volumes that have only 2000 files and I get the same error.

Another data point is that I downloaded the emergency recovery iso from http://www.retrospect.com/en/products/bmr and plugged in my Retrospect Pro 11 license key. When the recovery environment executes, the version of Retrospect is 7.6.205

What can I do to restore my backup server's system partition?? This is critical....

Thanks!!

Dave

You could try doing a Live Restore as follows:

• Make a temporary install of the same edition of Windows 7 that existed on the failed backup server. (Ensure the volume containing Windows 7 is at least the same size as the original.)
  • If the installation media is pre-SP1 then use Windows Update to bring it to SP1. If the KB3125574 'Convenience rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1' was also installed I would recommend installing this too. (I've found this can avoid some restore problems related to Windows 7 itself as I've had mixed results restoring an SP1 system over a pre-SP1 system.)
  • Install your current version of Retrospect. (Full application, not the Client).
  • Add the catalog to Retrospect for the backup set to be used for the restore. (If you don't have the catalog file then a catalog rebuild will be required.)
  • Perform the restore of the entire volume of the backup server over the temporary volume.
  • Follow the prompts from Retrospect.
  • The activities following the reboot to finish the restore can take a long time with periods where nothing appears to be happening.

A Live Restore takes longer than a Disaster Recovery Restore but you should end up with a working system in the end.

Thanks Scillonian, that is exactly what I'm doing after spending several hours frustrated because I discovered the hard way that a Windows 7 oem install disk that I had easily at hand will not work with a Windows 7 upgrade license. It took me a while to find the Windows upgrade disks and reinstall yet again from scratch. Restore is in progress and while waiting have been rereading the Retrospect manual. The last time I did a disaster recovery from scratch was several years ago with a much older version of Retrospect. From what I can tell, instead of using the iso downloaded from the website, I should have used my copy of Retrospect to create one? Do you know if Retrospect on the recovery disk would then be version 11 and not give me out of memory errors? I guess once I am back up and running I will create a disk, boot from it, and see what is on it.

The recent versions of Retrospect for Windows changed the Disaster Recovery Media to use the Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE).

When you come to create the Disaster Recovery media you will be prompted to install the Windows ADK. The Windows ADK provides the WinPE for the Disaster Recovery media.

If you choose the online install and want to save some disk space (and download bandwidth) the only part of the Windows ADK you need to install is 'Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE)' and its dependency 'Deployment Tools' for Disaster Recovery media creation. (They are the only part I installed and the Disaster Recovery media appeared to work properly when I did a test restore.)