Retrospect 13 - error -530 (backup client not found)

I have two computers running El Capitan on a simple LAN, one acting as a Retrospect server and one as a client. My Backup Script fails to connect to the backup client at scheduled script start even though the client computer is up and running and Retrospect client is available. If I do a Locate Source after the failure, the client is visible on the discovered clients list and the script runs fine after that. I have tried removing the client from the client list and adding it back again.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be wrong and/or what I should try to figure out the cause?

Oh boy, do I have clues!  First of all, do what it says in this post, which I made last August.  You can probably forget about the "port 497 suggestion" I mention there; that turns out to be unnecessary so long as you don't have any firewall within your LAN.

That worked fine for about 6 months, when I started having -530 errors as described in this thread. If that happens to you look at the OP first, to see if you did every step in the workaround that A. recommended.  If that doesn't work, or stops working after a number of days (as it did for me),  scroll down to post #15 and look back at the posts I link to in the first sentence of that post.

Good luck, and please post back to let us know how you made out.

hgv, like many new posters to these forums, you may not be aware that there is a search facility for the forums.  If you look at the very top of the page, on the line where the Retrospect box logo and the "Retrospect" name appear on the left, there is a magnifying-glass icon on the right.  Immediately to the left of that magnifying-glass, there is a search box.  On some browsers that search box appears in a shade of black, so that it is tough to see.

Anyway, if you type an error code such as "530" (no quotes) into the search box and then click the magnifying-glass icon, you will get a pop-up with a list of thread titles—or threads with an applicable post—where that error code appears.  Because the search facility has not been specially adapted for the Retrospect forums, if you type in the error code as "-530" (no quotes) you will not get any results.  To get results without removing the minus sign from the error code, you must type the error code as "-530" (with surrounding quotes).

By default, that pop-up list is sorted in order of what the search facility considers to be relevance—which may not be what you consider to be relevance.  However the pop-up list has a drop-down, just to the left of the close-box 'X', that lets you change the order to most-recent-first date—which you are likely to find to be more useful.

The Retrospect search function is powered by the Google AJAX Search API. If you are using any content blockers in you browser the search box may be missing altogether or there but not functional.

If you are using Ghostery then the 'Google AJAX Search API' needs to be allowed.

If you are using a script blocker (e.g NoScript on Firefox, ScriptSafe on Chrome) then scripts need to be allowed from 'forums.retrospect.com', 'googleapis.com', 'apis.google.com', 'cse.google.com' and 'google.com'.

David, thanks for your response. I did notice your posts about this topic and read through quite a few of them but I'm afraid I didn't see much anything that would apply to my situation. I use a fixed IP address on both my machines. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my client (the conventional way by downloading the latest installer from Retrospect.com). No help there either.

hgv, please make sure you followed all the seven steps in the third paragraph of the first post in the second thread I linked to (note that I have just noticed that I had two step (3)s, so I have renumbered them).  AFAIK it's very important to:  (1) Remove the client from Sources on the Retrospect Console, before (3) uninstalling the Retrospect Client on the client machine. (4) Make sure the file "root-drive-name/Library/Preferences/retroclient.state" (no quotes around file name, root-drive-name is usually "Macintosh HD" with no quotes) is no longer there; if it is still there, delete it. (6) Add the client to Sources on the Retrospect Console, and then alter that client's Source Options as required.  (7) Re-checkmark the client as a Source in all Scripts where it should be used.

I don't think it matters whether you get the Client Uninstaller and Installer via (2) exporting from the "backup server" or via downloading from the website, so long as you get the correct versions and ensure the (4) file deletion has been done before you do the (5) Client re-Install.

If that doesn't solve your -530 problem, then check for the possibility of automated updating of the client machine going on at the same time as your backup—per post #15 in the same thread.  I said in the second paragraph of post #15 that I suspected Adblock Plus of updating Firefox, but I now suspect it was instead  automated updating of the news sites etc. that used to appear as dropdowns right under the title bar on Firefox pages.  If you happen to be scheduling your backup script to run at 3 a.m., note that many great minds—plus the Soviet Secret Police—have in the past decided that 3 a.m. is a time when nobody is awake—which would make it an ideal time to run automated updating.

• 1 month later...

If I stop and restart the retroengine and retroisa daemons manually after computer startup, the scheduled scripts appear to work perfectly. This suggests there's an issue with Retrospect daemon being initiated too soon at startup. This is particularly annoying to me because my backup computer is restarted daily. As a workaround I created a launchd script to do a 60 seconds delayed stop/restart of both daemons at startup. The problem seems to have disappeared.

That's interesting.  Back before my -530 problem with my "Sun.-Fri. Backup" No Media Action script miraculously cured itself on 12 June, I had found that I didn't get a -530 error if I booted my Mac Pro "backup server" at least 15 minutes before the 3 a.m. time scheduled for the script—and then booted my MacBook Pro client before 3 a.m..  See especially the P.P.P.P.S. in this post, but also see mentions in previous and subsequent posts in the same thread.