Retrospect requesting tape that doesn't exist!!

Hello everyone,

I have a Media Set that have eleven tapes. In the last days the eleven tape was filled  with info, and the restrospect, is asking the next tape,  twelve's, but this tape it doesn't exist.

As you can see in print, I have other tapes with space , including one, two, that are in the robot.

pQkd2b.png

How can i make  Retrospect use the space that is free in these tapes ?

Thank's in advance.

PJ

How can i make  Retrospect use the space that is free in these tapes ?

Retrospect uses the tapes until they are full (or you get a serious error), so there is no free space.

The problem is that Retrospect assumes 2:1 compression when calculating tape capacity. Not many types of files can be compressed that much. So you can't fit as much data on each tape as that window-list says you can. The window presentation is wrong.

Just put in a new tape and continue with the backup.

Hy Lennart,

Here is a better sized print :D

pQkd2b.png

Thanks for the explanation.

fVFZwQ.png

But as you can see the eleven's tape e full. With 0 free space, but the others have so much space...

I understood what you said, that, in the total tape space , 3TB , only half can it be written . Correct me if I'm wrong .

Thanks in advanced

PJ

Column 1: Tape name

Column 2: Number of bytes stored on tape

Column 3: Number of free bytes on tape, PROVIDED THE NOMINAL CAPACITY IS CORRECT

Column 4: Nominal capacity, assuming 2:1 compression

Column 5: Probably the bar code on the tape

It looks like tape 11 is full and the number of free bytes (column 3) is 0. It should be 0 for tapes 1-10 as well. That is a bug in Retrospect.

Your type of data doesn't compress well, which is typical nowadays. The average tape capacity seems to be 1.7-1.8 TB, just a bit over the native (uncompressed) tape capacity of 1.5 TB. So you have a limited number of files that can be compressed.

File types that does not compress well (since they are already compressed):

Video files, most image files, most audio files, most pdf files, all zip files (and other kinds of "archives", for instance disk image files).

File type that compresses well:

Pure text files

File types that are in between the two types above:

Apps, word processor documents, spreadsheet documents.