Any way to prevent system from going to sleep while backup in progress?

x509

I often get backup failures because either my host system running Retrospect or a client goes to sleep.  Can Retrospect "wake up" a sleeping client?

My network is a mixture of Win 7 and 10, right now running Retrospect 7.7, but soon upgrading to Retrospect 11.

x509

• Like 2

I often get backup failures because either my host system running Retrospect or a client goes to sleep.  Can Retrospect "wake up" a sleeping client?

I've never got it to work. Try a search of the forum as there have been discussions in the past about Wake on LAN.

My network is a mixture of Win 7 and 10, right now running Retrospect 7.7, but soon upgrading to Retrospect 11.

Using Windows' build in power management features it is difficult to stop the host or clients from sleeping during backups. (Windows sees user activity as input device (keyboard, mouse, etc) activity and not what applications are doing.)

For my backup server my solution was to use a third party power management utility called SmartPower (http://getsmartpower.co.uk/). I have my backup server set to wake and sleep on a fixed schedule when my clients are most likely to be on.

For my clients I have set the sleep timeout to three or four hours which works most of the time to prevent sleeping during backups. Not ideal from a power management efficiency point of view but it works for me pending a better solution.