Retrospect 7.7 hangs while backing up pc

djfrederi

Hi,

For the past few weeks I've been having trouble making backups with Retrospect 7.7.  So, I bought a new WD My Book (3tb) and started an immediate backup with a new backup set.

Fifteen hours later, the Activity Monitor's Executing Tab showed that Retrospect had completed1379447 files, 432.7GB, 15:06:17 sec, 2.6MB/min, and has 237256 files, 131.7 GB remaining.

After another hour, the above numbers have not changed.

The Operations Log shows that Retrospect version 7.7.620 Launched at 4/23/2016 7:21 PM.  There aren't any entries after that in the Operations Log.

Windows Task Manager shows that Retrospect.exe is using 483,608K of memory (My computer is a Dell XPS L702X laptop that has 8Gb of memory and is running Windows Professional 64-bit.  The hard-drive's capacity is 679 GB with 81.3GB Space Free.) but doesn't appear to be using any CPU time.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Ran CHKDSK last night - it didn't flag any bad sectors or files.  I checked it periodically while it was running and steps 1 and 2 didn't show any errors.  Step 3 was 54% done when I went to bed.  When I got up this am the computer had booted up to the login screen.

Any ideas?

Ran CHKDSK last night - it didn't flag any bad sectors or files. I checked it periodically while it was running and steps 1 and 2 didn't show any errors. Step 3 was 54% done when I went to bed. When I got up this am the computer had booted up to the login screen.

Check in Windows Event Viewer where the results of the CHKDSK should be recorded.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all your help!

When my laptop came home I turned it on and the normally-scheduled backup ran without any problems.  Then, the following week, it ran again!  It appears to be working  correctly now - thanks to your help.

I followed your advice (running chkdsk) and I also changed Retrospect to use two new Backup Sets (I and J) and bought a new external hard drive for backing up (even though the old backup drive had lots of room left).

BTW, Scilloian, I wasn't able to find the CHKDSK results in Windows Event Viewer - didn't know where to look...

Again, thank you for your help :-)

BTW, Scilloian, I wasn't able to find the CHKDSK results in Windows Event Viewer - didn't know where to look...

Sorry about that. For future reference go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools then double click Event Viewer. In Event Viewer's left panel open Windows LogsApplication and look for the entry for 'Chkdsk'.

Note that CHKDSK events will only be recorded if it is run from the copy of Windows installed on the disk. If it was run from the Windows 7 install media (or another Windows installation) it will not be recorded.