Error during grooming: Retrospect 13

I have encountered an error when grooming a disk media set. The log appears below. I tried to avoid these errors by rebuilding the catalog, but the error persists. The disk appears to be functioning normally according to Disk Utility and DiskWarrior's directory rebuild feature did not solve the problem.

Groom options set to Groom to Retrospect defined policy, keeping 3 months of backups, choosing Storage-optimized grooming.

+ Executing Groom at 4/1/16, 11:31:21 AM

Grooming Media Set iMac HD Mobile Backup...

MapError: unknown Mac error 22

TFile::SetPosFromBegin: lseek failed, /Volumes/Mobile Backup/Retrospect/iMac HD Mobile Backup/1-iMac HD Mobile Backup/AA001338.rdb, oserr 22, error -1,002

TFile::SetPosFromBegin: lseek failed, /Volumes/Mobile Backup/Retrospect/iMac HD Mobile Backup/1-iMac HD Mobile Backup/AA001344.rdb, oserr 22, error -1,002

TFile::SetPosFromBegin: lseek failed, /Volumes/Mobile Backup/Retrospect/iMac HD Mobile Backup/1-iMac HD Mobile Backup/AA001372.rdb, oserr 22, error -1,002

TFile::SetPosFromBegin: lseek failed, /Volumes/Mobile Backup/Retrospect/iMac HD Mobile Backup/1-iMac HD Mobile Backup/AA001377.rdb, oserr 22, error -1,002

TFile::SetPosFromBegin: lseek failed, /Volumes/Mobile Backup/Retrospect/iMac HD Mobile Backup/1-iMac HD Mobile Backup/AA001392.rdb, oserr 22, error -1,002

Groomed 3.3 MB from Media Set iMac HD Mobile Backup.

4/1/16 11:40:09 AM: Execution completed successfully

Remaining: 1,672 files, 830.8 MB

Completed: 1 files, 3.3 MB

Performance: 0.3 MB/minute

Duration: 00:08:47

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

It's possible those .rdb files are messed up.    I have -- on rare occasion -- had to remove specific .rdb files from the media set to successfully rebuild a catalog after a groom.

You didn't post the log from the rebuild of the catalog -- does the rebuild complain about the same .rdb files?

- Steve

Hello Maser:

Thanks for the reply. The rebuild did not have any complaints or errors:

+ Executing Rebuild at 3/31/16, 3:08:31 PM

To Backup Set iMac HD Mobile Backup...

Scanned /Volumes/Mobile Backup/Retrospect/iMac HD Mobile Backup/1-iMac HD Mobile Backup/ up to backup set data file index 1,564

Using fast rebuild

3/31/16 3:09:03 PM: Finished scanning backup set data files

3/31/16 3:39:47 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 1,630,537 files, 368.8 GB

Performance: 18,187.4 MB/minute

Duration: 00:29:55 (00:09:08 idle/loading/preparing)

I did contact Retrospect support, and the response was, "Based on the log entry above [OP: the log from the groom operation] , the operation was "completed successfully" and everything is fine. The other info in the log is debug logging and not an actual error. You can ignore the other entries."

I would feel better if unimportant errors did not appear in the logs. ????

There is a new 13.0.1 update out today that fixes a grooming issue I've seen here.   Just FWIW.

For those who want to look, the Release Notes are here.

I suspect what Maser is referring to is this item: "Fixed crash when storage becomes full during backup and grooming starts (#6107)".  I wonder whether that has any relation to my prediction in the second paragraph of this post.  I notice that the 13.0.1 release note item uses the c**** word, which Mayoff objected—in the last paragraph of this post—to my using in my post linked-to in the preceding sentence.  :lol:

Oh well, since Retrospect Inc. didn't take the bet I proposed in that post, I guess I'm not going to get a free update to Version 13.  However, if you want to do the honorable thing, Mayoff, you know my e-mail address.  ;)