Retrospect Multi-Server v12.5 Error -641

Have been getting a "Chunk Checksum Error -641" for several days now on a previously working script (out of six backup scripts that I run on 3 clients):

+  Normal backup using Bi-Weekly JaneiMac at 3/16/16, 22:00:00 (Activity Thread 1)

To Backup Set iMac_Backup...
    -  3/16/16 22:00:00: Copying Macintosh HD on Jane's iMac
    3/16/16 22:03:39: Found: 1351965 files, 317745 folders, 345.4 GB
    !Trouble matching Macintosh HD on Jane's iMac to iMac_Backup, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)

Here's what I did so far:
  1. Repeated the script a couple of times to verify that the backup didn't take place and checked the drive condition to make sure the backup drive is operable. A very sensitive external test, DriveDX says there isn't a problem (SMART check).
  2. Haven't found the error code in Retro's own KB.
  3. Can't troubleshoot the issue further. 
  4. Tried to perform a Recycle Backup manually. It seems not to run without the error so far... 

Does anyone know how this error started? Why it isn't documented anywhere? This situation seems typical of odd errors that occur from time to time. Don't seem to have any cause and when ignored seem to go away on their own. Sometimes a simple workaround like starting over clear it. Sometimes too a drive issue is the cause. That's why i went to SMART testing to confirm these kinds of drive related possibilities. Not so much in this case.

H

The list of error codes is here:

http://www.retrospect.com/en/support/kb/error-code-table

But it would be of much greater help if it also suggested what to do about it.

Since you have done a recycle backup, the problem is most likely not with the media set.

Try to repair the client's hard drive:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

The list of error codes is here:

http://www.retrospect.com/en/support/kb/error-code-table

But it would be of much greater help if it also suggested what to do about it.

Since you have done a recycle backup, the problem is most likely not with the media set.

Try to repair the client's hard drive:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

Thanks Lennart. It's so new and an SSD that it didn't occur to me to check the client (the error reported seems to me to be unclear in pointing to the device). I wonder if Disk Utility will even find a problem, but it's worth a try (and also with Drive DX). No reported errors in Disk Utility, Live Mode. Note the differences in OS X 10.11 drive check. Drive DX indicates no SMART errors, lots of life in the SSD. 

Again, the recycle backup working (although it hasn't completed yet) certainly should also leave out the client from the cause as well. Or am I missing something? I thought that you'd say the catalog as a possible issue. That would be my next target on further failures. Recreate, delete? 

You wrote: "It seems NOT to run without the error so far." (my emphasis).

So did the recycle help or not?

In my reply, I assumed it did not help. The next step would then be the client.

The remaining problem was my confusing message. Backups run without error after the recycle backup completed. In other words, it was only the recycle that did the trick, all the diagnostic checks came back OK on both the client AND Retro server. Drives tested without problems, servers has been working OK with other clients and with this one.

Now, to update to V13...

My system is described in the signature line below. You'll see the update to new versions when my install is complete, tested and working.