Deduplication causing missing files when restoring

With Retrospect 10.5.0(145) on Mac 10.10, I noticed that I am unable to restore some files which seems to be caused by using the deduplication feature. The files that missing during a restore are also located on a file server. My understanding was that Retrospect wouldn't actually take up extra space on the media set for the same file but the fact that I can't even select it to perform a restore is very worrying. I have a number of folders with empty contents during the restore process and sure enough, trying to restore those folders results in Retrospect telling me that there was nothing to restore. It seems that the "fix" is to enable the more strict option to match only files in the same location/path but why should I need to enable that at all? Shouldn't Retrospect show that file even though it's already been backed up on another computer to the same media set? What am I missing here? 

After more digging, it appears to be a bug with Retrospect 10.5. If the file has been copied to another computer, a server for example, then it thinks it has already been backed up but does not give you the ability to restore the file. If you happen to know about the missing file, you can search for it and do a restore but if there are many files on the client that copied the files then you'll end up with a bunch of missing data when restore the folder containing those items. Yikes! I'm going to be turing on the option to match only the same location/path on all my scripts. I wonder if this bug still exists in the latest version of Retrospect though. 

How are you attempting to perform the restore? If you are doing a "search for files" type and searching by a volume or host location, Retrospect will only show the location from where the file was originally backed up. In your case, you will want to use either of the two options that begin with the word "Restore," where you have to select a point-in-time snapshot before proceeding.

If you are doing the latter and you still can't see the files you want, you should check the rule you're using in your backup script to be sure that you aren't inadvertently excluding some files from the backup. 

I was selecting the restore icon and then selecting restore selected files and folders. Doing that would show some folders with no data in them because that data apparently was also copied and backed up to another computer. It looks to be the same bug that another user discovered here- http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/150808-retrospect-not-backing-up-certain-files/

This also is a problem with Retrospect 11.5.3. I copied some files from a server to another machine and then tried to restore the files from the computer that I copied the files to. Sure enough, the folder I put them in shows up to restore but the contents of the folder is completely empty.

I also can't restore the files that I moved to a new folder on the file server itself. I created a new folder and dragged some files in to the new folder. Now, those files don't show up to restore from last nights backup either, only the empty folder. This can't be right can it? 

No, it isn't what's supposed to happen.

In looking at the release notes, it looks like this snapshot bug was addressed in version 12.0.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know which fix or item # listed in the release notes applies to this issue? Nothing jumps out as applying to what I'm seeing so I apologize for being dense. 

Actually, I think I was too quick. I had been looking at fix #5044, but I now believe that was referring to the files that were backed up on the date that backup snapshot was made, and not to the file listing within the snapshot.

We haven't experienced the issue that you and Ernst Mulder reported, where files that were actually backed up do not properly appear in the backup snapshot. (FWIW, I notice in the latest email advert about Retrospect 13 that they're using a positive quote from Ernst.) Though you should presumably be able to restore the missing files by searching for them individually, needing to do that would undercut one of the main selling points that Retrospect uses: the ability to perform simple point in time restores, even with deduplication.