You have not been backed up...

I am repeatedly getting the notice on my G4 PowerBook, that I "have not been backed up since June 1...". This is in spite of the fact that I have watched successful backups, verified the success via the Log window on the server machine, AND notices on the PowerBook that the backup was successful.

The only preference file I can find is the "retroclient.state", but I'm afraid that if I delete that it will delete my identity and I will have to start over with a new full backup. And I'm am not really sure that file is the problem.

Hi

Uninstall the client using the "uninstall" option in the client setup program. Then reboot the machine and resinstall the client. You will need to forget and re-add the client on the backup server.

Retrospect checks the actual files on your disk to see if they have changed. Reinstalling the client does not affect that so you can continue with incremental backups.

Thanks

Nate

It can happen when the problem reported in this thread manifests itself. I'm speaking from first-hand experience. If that's what's happening in your case, you can open the Terminal app, enter "sudo killall pitond", and enter your admin password to fix the problem -- at least until it happens again. You'll have to turn the client back on after entering that command.

Archived