Retrospect 12 single server and Time Machine

I am curious to know which folders I should exclude from retrospect backups and which from time machine. When I look inside Time Machine, I see that it is backing up RetroISAScan files that can be relatively large. Are these safe to exclude from Time Machine? Are there other files that can safely be excluded?

Same for Retrospect. Are there Time Machine files that can be excluded?

Finally, I think I can safely exclude my local iDevices backups from the computer backups which would save some space.

I ask because time machine is in the midst of a 110GB backup and oddly that has happened more than once recently. On average, my Retrospect backups (backing up this and 3 other machines) average about 4G per night.

I plan on using TImeTracker to drill into my Time Machine backup (once it completes in a day or so...) to see what took up so much space.

RetroISA files are intended to keep track of the files that need backing up so that Retrospect doesn't need to take a lot of time scanning the source disk at the time of an actual backup. Unless you're talking about many hours to scan the source volume (and maybe even in that case as well), there is no reason they need to be included in Time Machine backups.

Regarding Time Machine and Retrospect, you would need to determine whether you can foresee ever wanting to restore a file to a state that existed between Retrospect backups of your main HD volume, and what the consequences would be of not having a particular intermediate version of a file. If you decide that having that capability is not essential, or at least that it's not essential that you retain that capacity deep into the past, I would say there is no need to back up your Time Machine volume at all.

• Like 1

Thank you. I will exclude those files from the Time Machine backup.

I had not planned on backing up my time machine volume to retrospect, but I was wondering if Time Machine saved some files on the source drive that retrospect did not need to back up. I suspect not, but thought I would ask.

Paul