using recycle

Hi! I’m new to Retrospect so pardon if this is an elementary question. I’m just looking for confirmation that my understanding is correct and that my approach is sound.

I am using Retrospect 8.1 to back up company-critical files on a single Win2008 R2 standard server.

I have two backup sets created (Week-A and Week-B that are set to back up the selected files at 6pm each night. When Week-A completes for the week, it is removed from the server Monday morning and replaced with Week-B. I have monitored each back up set for two cycles each, looked at the logs and all seems to be working as it should.

Now, I’d like to add a recycle routine to each back up set. So my questions are:

1)      If I understand the recycle backup, it essentially resets the catalog file to appear empty (as though there was never a backup done of the data) and then does a full normal backup on the selected sources during the scheduled time. Correct? If yes, great! If no, and it clears the catalog file as a separate action and doesn’t do a normal backup until the next day, it would seem there is a chance that I’d be at risk of losing the previous week’s data. Correct?

2)      Do I set up to recycle each back up set (one for Week-A and one for Week-B separately?

3)      Is it best to set the recycle routine to run at the beginning of the week or the end?

a.       If indeed it clears the catalog file and then immediately does a new normal backup, it would seem doing the recycle on a Monday evening would be best. Agreed?

4)       When setting the time frame to do the recycle, If I select every four weeks, will it recycle after each second backup cycle (which would cover a calendar four week span of time) or will it do it after four cycles of backups (actually eight calendar weeks)?

Thanks in advance for your responses…..

John

• Like 5

1) Yes. The catalog file does not only appear empty, it IS empty. In the case of disk backup sets, they are emptied as well (the .rdb files are deleted).

Assuming you have disk backup sets, would you consider grooming instead of recycling? With grooming, the oldest backups are deleted and the most recent are retained. Schedule a groom script during the weekend, alternating between the two backup sets. Set the backup sets to keep the last 10 backups, for instance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...