12.5.0 - Matching not working.

The NAS is the source. The destination is a hard disk.

The hard disk is for an "Off Site" Back up.

I have "Match only files in same location/path" checked. Because, I have duplicates of a few files in different directories of the NAS.

OK, In your first post the NAS is what you back up TO. It's not the source.

A destination in Retrospect's parlance is always a media set, not a disk, not a tape. A disk media set have disks as members. A member is never a destination.

So you have a hard disk as a member of a media set that you take off site? And the NAS is not a member of any media set? The NAS is always the source?

I think having checked "Match only files in same location/path" is the cause of your problem. Your reason for having it checked is also not a good/valid reason. Let me explain:

Retrospect uses file de-duplication. That means that no matter how many copies you have of the same file, only one copy is made. Retrospect keeps track of all the file's locations. So if/when you perform a restore, the file will be restored to all original places.

I think that each time the NAS disk is mounted it is gives a new (internal) name by the Mac. That new name makes the file paths different, so Retrospect thinks all files are new files, since the path doesn't match what is already backed up.

So uncheck "Match only files in same location/path" and try again. :)

Ok, NAS is source.  The hard disk is in a media set. it is the 7th member of that set. All members of that media set are hard disks. The NAS is new and I am just starting to back up from it.

I unchecked "Match only files in same location/path" and it is still copying the same files repeatedly.

The NAS is new and I am just starting to back up from it.

I unchecked "Match only files in same location/path" and it is still copying the same files repeatedly.

I see.

Have you backed up the new NAS completely at least once? And at the next backup, all files will be backed up again?

Or has the files on the NAS been copied there from an old NAS or another hard drive that has been backed up to the same media set? The copy of files from one type of source to another could cause all files to backed up again (once). With "type of source" I mean one NAS vs. another, or a NAS vs. a local drive. This is because different NAS'es have their own way to (re)present metadata. Changed metadata causes files to be backed up again.