Backup to LTO completes but nothing is copied

MacBookPro with retrospect installed on it, connected via Atto thunder link to a tape library and connected with ethernet to NAS.

Trying to copy data from NAS to Tape.

Added tapes to Media Set, after initialisation retrospect said that there where 24 tapes in mediaset with a capacity of more than 100TB.

Started a backup of around 40 TB from the NAS to mediaset, after a couple of minutes the backup task completed, but no data was copied and my media set now has a capacity of 4,8 TB...?

post-86983-0-38771500-1445266532_thumb.png

post-86983-0-44355000-1445266539_thumb.png

There are two issues here.

I wouldn't worry about the listed capacity of the media set. That figure is only an estimated one, and Retrospect does not do a particularly good job of predicting total capacity for tape media sets. The true capacity of a tape varies depending on a lot of factors, including the amount of data compression, the rate in which data is suppled, etc. What's important is that Retrospect will use each tape member until it is actually full.

The fact that no data was backed up, and that it took essentially no time to match the data, indicates that something must be wrong with the selection criteria you used in your backup script. (The results look essentially like the selection rule was "No Files.")  Can you post a screenshot of the actual rule that you used?

Hi,

I've just deleted the script i had and clicked on the upperleft icon named "backup".

See my screenshots for the settings i've made. I did a manual selection of a big folder on the NAS.

Then clicked "start now" end then it did this:

+  Normal backup using Backup Assistant - 20-10-15 12:16 at 20-10-15 12:17:44 (Activity Thread 1)

To Backup Set archief_tape_backup...

-  20-10-15 12:17:44: Copying admin@10.0.0.110/DATA

20-10-15 12:22:28: Found: 259431 files, 22120 folders, 48,3 TB

20-10-15 12:22:30: Finished matching

20-10-15 12:22:34: Copying: 0 files (0 B) and 0 hard links

20-10-15 12:23:06: Building Snapshot...

20-10-15 12:23:06: Checking 22.120 folders for ACLs or extended attributes

20-10-15 12:24:11: Finished copying 22.115 folders with ACLs or extended attributes

20-10-15 12:24:11: Copying Snapshot: 2 files (104,7 MB)

20-10-15 12:24:16: Snapshot stored, 104,7 MB

20-10-15 12:24:16: Comparing admin@10.0.0.110/DATA

20-10-15 12:24:18: Execution completed successfully

Duration: 00:06:34 (00:06:11 idle/loading/preparing)

post-86983-0-65968800-1445336909_thumb.png

post-86983-0-01917200-1445336911_thumb.png

post-86983-0-33688200-1445336912_thumb.png

Here is (most likely) your problem, you have not (manually) selected any files

In my experience, you cannot see the "manual selection" option unless you browse the source and select at least one file. Wimgrandia says he/she manually selected a large folder. The script performed a matching operation and then backed up 0 files. This should be the case only if all the files in the selected folder had previously been backed up.

I wonder what would happen if you deselect the backup matching options. Try that and see if you get a different result.

Thanks twickland (im a "he" btw ;))

What i just did...:

- First i made a backup from my downloads folder on my local hard drive to tape, that worked like a charm.

- Then i, again, made a new script for a backup from the NAS to tape, and run it, no change there.

- Then i deselected the "match source files against the Media Set" option like you said and run the script

It now seems like it is copying something..! I'm not cheering yet, but it looks like something is going into the right direction!

+ Normal backup using Backup Assistant - 20-10-15 16:59 at 20-10-15 17:09:21 (Activity Thread 1)

To Backup Set archief_tape_backup...
- 20-10-15 17:09:21: Copying admin@10.0.0.110/DATA
20-10-15 17:12:52: Found: 259433 files, 22124 folders, 48,3 TB
20-10-15 17:12:54: Copying: 259433 files (48,3 TB) and 0 hard links

Keep you posted!

Ok... In my last post i said that data was copying from NAS to Tape...

But the thing is that this time i only selected one folder on the NAS that was 5Gb.

Nevertheless it started to copy the whole nas.. The whole 48Tb! No matter which folder i select, it copies all the files on the NAS... :(

So instead of 5Gb, it copied 3Tb last night...

The deselecting of the option "match source files against the Media Set" did help with copying actual data but now it copies everything instead of the "manual files selection"... :(

Ok... In my last post i said that data was copying from NAS to Tape...

But the thing is that this time i only selected one folder on the NAS that was 5Gb.

Nevertheless it started to copy the whole nas.. The whole 48Tb! No matter which folder i select, it copies all the files on the NAS... :(

So instead of 5Gb, it copied 3Tb last night...

The deselecting of the option "match source files against the Media Set" did help with copying actual data but now it copies everything instead of the "manual files selection"... :(

Well, that certainly isn't what should have occurred! There is clearly some weirdness going on with the communication between Retrospect and your NAS.

We don't have a NAS, but other users have reported issues with Retrospect accessing certain brands of NAS devices. You may want to search the forum archives to see if others have had trouble with your particular NAS.

Instead of selecting a particular folder in your backup script, you might try defining a "favorite folder" for this NAS in the Sources window and see if backing up just that favorite folder gives a different result.

When i click on my script and then on "rules" i see this: (screenshot attached)

Maybe that's not ok? How can i select only the manual file selection?

When you click on "Rules," you will only see those rules you have defined (in Preferences>Rules) or that are Retrospect's built-in rules. 

To perform a manual selection, you need to highlight the source and click on "Browse."

just to be clear, i've aborted the copying from last night so that's why it only had copied 3Tb, otherwise it would have done the whole 48Tb ;)

I was already on the path of making a folder my 'favorite" folder and that trick seems to work, although it feels kinda shaky..

When you click on "Rules," you will only see those rules you have defined (in Preferences>Rules) or that are Retrospect's built-in rules. 

To perform a manual selection, you need to highlight the source and click on "Browse."

I did a manual select of a folder when starting the backup but when i look at the script "all files" is selected.

When i do a backup of a local folder and do a manual select, no rule is selected...

When i do a backup of a local folder and do a manual select, no rule is selected...

That's because the manual selection you made is the rule you're using.

I did a manual select of a folder when starting the backup but when i look at the script "all files" is selected.

This seems to contradict what you said earlier about making a manual selection of a folder on the NAS, and the related screenshot you attached. Has Retrospect's behavior now changed, or did you do something different with this latest backup?

For testing purposes i have two backup scripts.

The first script backups a particular folder on my local hard drive to the tape machine

The second script backups a particular folder on my NAS to the tape machine

So both are a manual selection

When i click on the first script there is no rule selected

When i click on the second script the rule "all files" is selected

For testing purposes i have two backup scripts.

The first script backups a particular folder on my local hard drive to the tape machine

The second script backups a particular folder on my NAS to the tape machine

So both are a manual selection

When i click on the first script there is no rule selected

When i click on the second script the rule "all files" is selected

I'm confused. In your first post of October 20, the screenshot of the Backup Assistant window clearly shows that you have manually selected the folder DATA (10.0.0.110) on volume admin@10.0.0.110, which you've described as your NAS. Are you saying that after that Backup Assistant script ran and you examined that script in the Scripts window, the selection criteria differs, and now says "All Files?"

That's what i am saying... I click on backup in the upper left corner, select a folder on my nas, select a destination (a tape drive) and click on "start now".

Retrospect starts backupping but it backups everything! And when i click on the script to check it says "all files"...

My solution for now is to set the particular folder i want to backup as my favorite...

I just did, and this is their response:

Retrospect Agent Reply can be found below.

Agent Response:

Delete created Script done with Backup assistant.
Go to sources > check your Nas share is inside the list, if not in, add it using AFP or SMB
Select it then Add favorites (add shares subfolders you wan to backup)
Go to Script select add script give it a name, then fill-up sources (select favorites) and destinations + options you want and schedules.
Save it and run the script several time. let me know if you still have this issue?

What is the Nas a Linux system? What is the system file and raid on it?

Thank you for using Retrospect,
The Retrospect Support Team