Upgrading from 8.5.0.136 Professional to 10.5.0.110 Desktop

HawkInOz

I am currently using "Retrospect for Windows 8.5.0.136 Professional" on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and have just purchased a license for Retrospect 10.5 Desktop for Windows and downloaded "Retrospect for Windows 10.5.0.110" and "Retrospect Client for Windows 10.5.0.110" directly from the Retrospect web site.

I'd like to know if the "Upgrading Retrospect" KB located here is still 100% accurate: www. retrospect. com/ en/ support/ kb/ upgrading-retrospect.  If not, I would like to know the current best practices for retaining all of my current backup environment settings (scripts, clients, backup sets, and execution history) with the new version.  As a long-time IT professional, I know that clean installs after uninstalls of all old versions tend to be the better choice whenever possible, but the instructions imply that an upgrade might actually be best.  Moving from a 32-bit application to a 64-bit application may make that a true statement since the installation path will be different, but I'd still like to know what is recommended for my current upgrade path.

I'm upgrading now because it is my intention to upgrade the workstation where the main program resides to Windows 10 shortly, followed by all of the Windows 7 clients that I am backing up.

Any assistance or opinions regarding this topic are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• Like 4

Retrospect 10.5 still uses config77.dat so the guidance is still relevant. The Retrospect installer seems to perform the upgrade reliably from my experience. One thing I do after most upgrades is perform catalog rebuilds for my active backup sets. I use grooming and this seems to improve reliability.

One thing to note is the Retrospect installer still includes the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable installer that drop msdia80.dll in the root directory of the system drive on 64-bit versions of Windows — even if you already have the later fixed version already installed. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927665 for how to fix this

My recommendation is

Firstly check out the Upgrade Technote, The Retrospect 10 Documentation section discusses upgrade procedures, and check the release notes for anything which may apply to your environment.

The key thing with the backupsets is that once you have brought them in to V10 they cannot be used in the old versions.

To gain an understanding of how Retro handles Moves and Upgrade see the Manual - Chapter 10 > Management > Moving Retrospect. Here it discusses how to backup the configs and catalogs .

In My experience when upgrading a major version Retro installs it in a new folder named for the version, but retains access to your existing configs and catalogs.