Retrospect 9 OSX : App crashes with no Log at all of Script

Retrospect 9 OSX : App crashes with no Log at all of Script

Two of my (normally perfect for years) Scripts have started to Crash the Retrospect Application leaving no Log of any of the process.

• These are Backups to Tape.
  • Using different sets of Tapes for each Script.
  • I have recreated the Media Sets.
  • I have wiped the Tapes too.

Scripts that Copy to Files, that run before or after, have no problems at all.

I also noticed that Retrospect has started using far more memory than it ever has, all the memory ... leaving down to 128Mb out of the 4.3GB usually free during these Script runs ?!

Mac OSX 10.6.8

Retrospect 9.0.2

MacPro QUAD Intel Xenon 2.8Ghz, 8GB Ram, Internal HD 250GB free+

Overland 200S

... but the issue, only started happening i the last 3 weeks after years of excellent service.

• Like 2

I would suspect a problem with Retrospect's Config80.dat file, located at /Library/Application Support/Retrospect. If you have a backup of this file from before the time that the problem arose, I would try using that version and see if it makes any difference. Before doing so, you should stop the engine and quit the console, trash the current Config80.bak file, and then manually move the current Config80.dat file to the desktop (in case you need to reinstall it later). When restarting Retrospect, you will want to click immediately on "Pause All" so you can delete any activities that have already run, since the restored version of Config80.dat will have an out-of-date activities calendar.

While less likely to be the source of the problem, you might want to try simply reinstalling the Retrospect engine first, without replacing Config80.dat, since performing that test will be simpler.

While less likely to be the source of the problem, you might want to try simply reinstalling the Retrospect engine first, without replacing Config80.dat, since performing that test will be simpler.

Hi twickland,

I stopped the Retrospect Engine via Systems Preferences, deleted the 127.0.0.1 Server in the Retrospect Applications left column, added a New Server [+ button] and was prompted into the usual Installer Process ... I hope this was what you indicated?