Downgrading to Mavericks and permissions

I have decided to downgrade from Yosemite to mavericks and am having a restore problemm

I have, as recommended, erased my disk and installed a new copy of mavericks. Obviously, I am missing many permissions for non-apple applications etc and tried to restore these from my backup. I did a selective backup and restored just the two libraries. I asked for these to be resored to a specific folder NOT the existing 19.9 library folders, but Retropsect restored the files to the libraries.

I am unable to use any of the library files as I have no permission to use them, despite setting up users identical to the backup. When I try to change them my user name does not appear - just a message 'fetching'. Nothing ever arrives and the beach ball spins interminably.

Does anybody have a suggested route for such a downgrade. My Time machine Backups are all Yosemite.

Thanks

Roger

• Like 3

It would likely be easiest to first perform a clean reinstallation of Mavericks.

I'm wondering how exactly you performed the failed Restore? I've never had Retrospect fail to create a new destination folder when requested, and we restore preference files all the time. Did the Summary page, before you performed the restore, indicate that the files would be restored to a new folder?

For extra safety, I would define a subfolder on the destination volume (such as your Desktop) in Sources, and use that as your restore destination, in case something further goes awry.