Retrospect client not starting on El Capitan beta?

Running Developer Preview 3.

Turned Retrospect on using the Preference Pane, but it still says that Retrospect Client is off.

Console shows:

10/7/2015 5:41:34.867 PM retroclient[4708]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.0 instead of 10.11.0. This is not a bug in Gestalt -- it is a documented limitation. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.
Call location:
10/7/2015 5:41:34.867 PM retroclient[4708]: 0   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff8ae56ccb ___Gestalt_SystemVersion_block_invoke + 113
10/7/2015 5:41:34.867 PM retroclient[4708]: 1   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff8bbd3c11 _dispatch_client_callout + 8
10/7/2015 5:41:34.867 PM retroclient[4708]: 2   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff8bbd3b09 dispatch_once_f + 67
10/7/2015 5:41:34.867 PM retroclient[4708]: 3   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff8ade2b97 _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 987
10/7/2015 5:41:34.867 PM retroclient[4708]: 4   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff8ade1e2b Gestalt + 139
10/7/2015 5:41:34.867 PM retroclient[4708]: 5   retroclient                         0x0000000100023bf0 GestaltGetSystemVersion + 28
10/7/2015 5:41:34.867 PM retroclient[4708]: 6   retroclient                         0x0000000100023c45 InitMacUtils + 17
10/7/2015 5:41:34.878 PM sudo[4710]:     root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/gzip /var/log/retroclient.log

Repeated over and over.

retroclient.log says:

2015-07-10T17:44:55: Client version is 12.0.2.116
2015-07-10T17:44:55: sopsFileLoad: can't read state file "/Library/Preferences/retroclient.state"
2015-07-10T17:44:55: SopsLoad: no public key, return -1.!
2015-07-10T17:44:55: DoSopsLoad: !isSetPass and no PubKey, exit
2015-07-10T17:44:55: First access password not set, use retroclient -setpass
1436514295: LogFlush: program exit(-1) called, flushing log file to disk

Client version is 12.0.2 (116).

Any beta that works with El Capitan?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

James.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Have you done a full clean install?

Macintosh Clients

1) Go to the client computer

2) Run the uninstall script included with the Retrospect Client installer

3) Go to Library/preferences and delete the retroclient.state file

4) Reinstall the Retrospect Client. Retrospect should prompt you to enter a new password during the install process.

5) Go to the backup server and re-add the Retrospect Client.

It would be really nice to be able to drop and re-add a client somehow without going back and re-adding the client to potentially multiple scripts. If a new client could be equated to an old one, or we could keep the old entry and "connect" it to a new client, I would have less hair pulled out.

• 4 years later...

Had the same thing happen to me on 10.13.6 after a crash.  The retroclient.state file was truncated. 

I second Don Lee's post.  This is a huge PITA when this happens.  Not only does one have to edit the scripts, but one gets a full backup of the machine next time.  It ends up being half a days work when this happens.

Permanent configuration information should  be stored in the same file used for temporary scratch, guys...

hrobinson,

Here's why and how to submit a Support Case for a Retrospect enhancement.

However I occasionally have to Remove and Add my MacBook Pro "client", and—after re-checkmarking it in my No Media Action "Sun.-Fri. Backup" script—I don't get a Recycle backup of my MBP when the script runs the next morning.  I've been doing this from 2015, when I re-started using Retrospect Mac 12 after 5 years without a "backup server" machine—but I skipped Retrospect Mac 13.  I can go through the Remove-Add-edit process for my 5 active scripts in about 10 minutes, including dragging the MBP to the top of the Summary panel for my two multi-machine Recycle scripts so those back up my MBP first.  I'm currently using the latest release of Retrospect Mac 16.1.

When you Remove and Add your "client", are you doing something that makes your "backup server" think it's dealing with a new "client"—such as changing the "client" machine's Sharing name or changing its fixed IP address on your LAN if you Add Source Directly? As you edit your scripts after a "client" Remove-Add, are you inadvertently changing them from No Media Action to Recycle?  Or are you doing something to your Media Set Catalog File(s) at the same time as you Remove-Add-edit?

Edited by DavidHertzberg
In the first sentence of the third paragraph, corrected Network to Sharing

7 hours ago, hrobinson said:

I second Don Lee's post.  This is a huge PITA when this happens.  Not only does one have to edit the scripts, but one gets a full backup of the machine next time.  It ends up being half a days work when this happens.

Tags.

If you set your scripts to use tags to determine what to back up, you only have to set a new/replaced client's tags once and it will be picked up by all appropriate scripts.

And as David said, you shouldn't get a full backup unless that's part of the script's definition -- "Match only files in same location/path" may be the culprit here.

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 7:13 AM, Nigel Smith said:

Tags.

If you set your scripts to use tags to determine what to back up, you only have to set a new/replaced client's tags once and it will be picked up by all appropriate scripts.

And as David said, you shouldn't get a full backup unless that's part of the script's definition -- "Match only files in same location/path" may be the culprit here.

You da man, Nigel Smith, for suggesting Tags.:) 

Yesterday evening I un-checkmarked David’sMacBook Pro from my normally-unscheduled  "Sat. Backup Incremental" script, and checkmarked All Clients under Smart Tags instead.  I then dragged All Clients to the top of the pane in the script's Summary panel, and did a Run of the script to the Media Set I'm using this week.  The execution did a No Media Action backup of David'sMacBook Pro, followed by a No Media Action backup of the two drives and a Favorite Folder local to my "backup server" that are also checkmarked.  (If Mimi'sOldG4 were still a "client", which it isn't because Retrospect Mac 16 can no longer backup machines booted under OS X 10.3 using the 32-bit Legacy Client, I'm pretty sure my "Sat. Backup Incremental" script run would have backed up Mimi'sOldG4 second—because its Sharing name sorts alphanumerically after David’s MacBook Pro.)

So hrobinson doesn't need to submit a Support Case for a Retrospect enhancement that turns out to have been made in Retrospect Mac 8.  Administrator-defined Tags are covered on pages 40-42 of the Retrospect Mac 16 User's Guide.  Smart Tags—such as All Clients—really aren't covered at all in the UG,  because they're Tags that Retrospect automatically maintains for certain obvious software-determinable categories of administrator-defined Sources.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:05 AM, DavidHertzberg said:

So hrobinson doesn't need to submit a Support Case for a Retrospect enhancement

Oh, but he does!

Being able to tell RS that "this new client is that old client, only reinstalled" would be useful. Not having to re-define Favourite Folders, re-do Tags, etc, would be great. But I get the feeling that there are practical, and probably security, reasons why this can't/shouldn't be done else we would have had the feature ages ago.

But, in the meantime, Tags are a time-saving feature that anyone who isn't using should take a good look at.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:18 PM, Nigel Smith said:

Oh, but he does!

Being able to tell RS that "this new client is that old client, only reinstalled" would be useful. Not having to re-define Favourite Folders, re-do Tags, etc, would be great. But I get the feeling that there are practical, and probably security, reasons why this can't/shouldn't be done else we would have had the feature ages ago.

But, in the meantime, Tags are a time-saving feature that anyone who isn't using should take a good look at.

Nigel Smith,

Pages 40-42 of the Retrospect Mac 16 User's Guide imply that you can assign a Tag to a Favorite Folder.  So on "this new client is that old client, only reinstalled" you would have to redefine any Favorite Folders and assign them the same Tags they had before, but if your scripts used Tags to designate Favorite Folders you wouldn't have to change the scripts.

If you did this,  in most cases the NHS (I noticed how you spell "Favourite", even though your Profile doesn't specify Location) wouldn't have to treat you for extreme finger fatigue resulting from "client" reinstallation.;)

P.S.: In Sources I added a Tag for my Favorite Folder on a drive local to my Mac Pro.  Then, for my my normally-unscheduled  "Sat. Backup Incremental" script, I un-checkmarked that Favorite Folder and checkmarked the Tag instead.  Finally I did a Run of the script to the Media Set I'm using this week; it did what it normally does, finishing with backing up that Favorite Folder via the Tag.  So the first paragraph of this post is correct.

P.P.S.: In Sources I added Mimi'sOldG4, gave it a non-Smart new Tag, and also gave a non-Smart new Tag to David'sMacBookPro.   Then, for my my normally-unscheduled  "Sat. Backup Incremental" script, I un-checkmarked the Smart Tag for All Clients and checkmarked the non-Smart newTags instead—dragging them in the Summary pane into the desired backup sequence.  Finally I did a Run of the script to the Media Set I'm using this week; it did what it normally does, giving a -3203 error message for Mimi'sOldG4 (because Retrospect Mac 16 can no longer actually back up "client" machines booted under OS X 10.3 using the 32-bit Legacy Client—even though Sources can still Add such "clients").    So this up-thread post is correct; the procedure for creating and eliminating non-Smart Tags on pages 40-41 of the Retrospect Mac 16 User's Guide  is independent of their use for a specific Source—it's the checkbox in the Tags tab that designates whether a specific non-Smart Tag is used for a specific Source.

Edited by DavidHertzberg
P.S.: One can indeed assign a Tag to a favorite Folder and use it to back up; P.P.S.: up-thread post is correct for non-Smart Tags

On 9/26/2019 at 9:47 PM, DavidHertzberg said:

Pages 40-42 of the Retrospect Mac 16 User's Guide imply that you can assign a Tag to a Favorite Folder.  So on "this new client is that old client, only reinstalled" you would have to redefine any Favorite Folders and assign them the same Tags they had before, but if your scripts used Tags to designate Favorite Folders you wouldn't have to change the scripts.

Exactly my point. We do all this, it's much easier than re-adding a client to lots of scripts -- but it would be *even easier* if you could say "This new client? It's actually that old client re-done", kind of like "Locate" does with client IP address, whereupon the client would "inherit" the old Favo(u)rite definitions (assuming absolute path remains the same), tags, etc without any work from us. And, especially, a seamless series of snapshots across old and new clients.

But snapshots may be one of the practical/security reasons why this seemingly good idea really, *really*, isn't...