ver 11.5.3 fails-hard drive member suddenly empty-no files-recovery possible?

11.5.3 became non-responsive - couldn't connect to server - crashed. Tried to restore files from an earlier member (hard drive) and it was blank-NO FILES! THAT'S the member being called for by "need media". ONLY Retrospect has accessed that drive. My question: is it possible to recover the files that will be there (but are "hidden") and be able to restore that data? Prior to OSX, Retrospect was the Rock of Gibraltar. Why has it been so messed up? Hmmm… Apple?

• Like 2

Tried to restore files from an earlier member (hard drive) and it was blank-NO FILES! 

Is there a folder named "Retrospect" at the root level of the volume? If not, something other than Retrospect must have wiped the drive.

If the Retrospect folder is present, it should contain a file named "Backup Media" and a folder with the name of your media set; inside the latter will be a folder with the name of a media set member. If all these are present, but there are no .rdb files in the member folder, that would indicate that the media set had been reset by performing a Recycle operation within Retrospect.

In either case, if you are to have any hope of recovering the data, you should stop using the drive and contact a drive recovery firm.

• Like 1

In either case, if you are to have any hope of recovering the data, you should stop using the drive and contact a drive recovery firm.

I have had success using "Data rescue 3" with Retrospect's .rdb files. Version 4 is now out, but I have not tried it.

"Data rescue" only reads from the problematic drive. You will need an empty drive to store the recovered files.

• Like 1