Retrospect does not use tape to it's native capacity

Here is my Set Up:

Mlogic Thundebolt Lto 6 is daisy chained to a Pegasus2 R8 32Gb. all that is then connected to a Mac Mini (mid 2011/2.3 gHz/ 4gb ram) running on Yosemite.

My backup software is retrospect 12.0.2 (116) . Media set is uncompressed

Problem is that Retrospect uses an unpredictable amount of space on the tapes and never to it's full capacity. I have seen  32Gb, 300Gb, 750Gb, 1.5Tb etc....

Data transfert rate in retrospect seems good (6-7 gb/mn)

I have tried all sorts of methods to pin point error ( changing backup order, backing up smaller batches etc.... nothing seems to permit me to use tapes to there full or close to full native capacity (2.5Tb).  Without reason or error codes in the log file it will suddenly ask for new media....

Does someone has a clue ?

• Like 2

The short answer:

Retrospect fills the tape until it reaches the end-of-tape marker or receives an un-recoverable error from the tape device. In the latter case you will see messages in the log.

The long answer:

http://kb.retrospect.com/articles/en_US/Retrospect_Article/Tape-Capacity-FAQ/

Does your tape drive come with some kind of diagnostic software? Have you tried it?

Tip:

Lower case 'b' means 'bit', upper case 'B' means 'byte'.

'Giga' is always upper case 'G'.

The Pegasus drive is 32 TB ('terabyte', not 'gigabit').

Thank You for correcting my spelling, devil is in the details.

I had already read the linked article. 

I can't link my situation to those explanations.... My data transfert is good, I do not have an outrageous number of small files, tapes are new etc......

There is no error code in the log and My Mlogic tape drive seems fine (though it has no diagnostic software that I know of).

The fact that the problem is unpredictable makes solution finding difficult...

I will hook up the tape drive and the Pegasus to another mac mini and see if problem occurs again. At least I will be able to eliminate one error source.