Retrospec 10 backups failing to backup to NAS

pjhutch500

I am using Windows 8.1 PRo and recently upgraded from Retrospec 8.5 to Retrospec 10. Backups on 8.5 to my WD MyCloud NAS drive was ok with only an occasional fail.

I tried a full backup on v10 but each time it failed, due to either corrupt backup files or losing connection to the NAS drive and unable to continue the backup.

When I losing connection, I have to browse for the backup set folder again, and try to select the last backup file, it it either says its corrupt or in the last case, it was missing.

I have to stop the backup, reboot restart it again and it sometimes goes ok but still fails to find last backup set, browsing for it does not seem to work properly.

Here's a section from the Operations log to show what I mean (see attachment).

Itried a restore of My Spreadsheets and Pictures to my restore folder, and no files were restored. The backups were useless.

So, I am going to have to revert Retrospecback to v8.5 until this problem has been resolved.

I have also found that speed when backing up lots of small files, is extremely slow and can take many hours... not really acceptable.

Any ideas why this is happening?

• Like 1

Here's a section from the Operations log to show what I mean (see attachment).

<snip>

I have also found that speed when backing up lots of small files, is extremely slow and can take many hours... not really acceptable.

I don't see any attachment.

The speed when backing up many small files is entirely dependent on the speed of the source volume. Changing to an SSD will increase speed dramatically.

I am connecting to the NAS via Ethernet via a share name e.g. \\WDMYCLOUD\Public. There is plenty of disk space free on the NAS, so it cannot be that that is causing it. I also tend to hand any power savings for PC and network device turned of to avoid anything going to sleep. So, I am not sure why it loses connection during a backup...

So, I am not sure why it loses connection during a backup...

Because any backup software (like Retrospect) pushed the NAS to its performance limit. Or in other words: puts a lot of strain on the NAS.

Have you checked if there is a NAS firmware update that you might want to install?