Upgrading from 7.6 for Windows to 10 for Windows.

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade from my really old version of 7.6 to the latest version.  What is the best way to do this?  Fully uninstall the old version but keeping my config files, then install the new version?

My config files are from 7.5 so the name of the file is still config75.dat.

Also, would there be any issue with using the old backup sets and doing restores from the 7.6 backups once I am on 10?

Any insight is appreciated, thanks.

Norm

• Like 2

As you suspected upgrading from such an old version has a couple of caveats, but generally is still a fairly straightforward process.

Firstly check out the Upgrade Technote, The Retrospect 10 Documentation section discusses upgrade procedures, and check the release notes for anything which may apply to your environment.

The key thing with the backupsets is that once you have brought them in to V10 they cannot be used in the old versions.

Happy Upgrading!

It should be fine. I can't say I have personally upgraded directly from 7.6 to 10 but I have upgraded a variety of other combinations without issue.

If you really want to be safe, create a test backup set in 7.6, migrate it to a test 10 installation and see if you can restore.

From the Upgrade Technote be aware that the Config files are incompatible and you will need to re-configure V10 manually.

For Retrospect 7.6 for Windows and earlier versions, this upgrade is more complicated. Retrospect 7.7 for Windows used different configuration files from previous versions. Backup set files and backup set catalog files are still usable, but you will need to re-create your backup environment.

• 7 months later...